1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gcse core pluc btec certificate in science- does it count?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Mangleworzle, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

They will count as gcse's but don't count as 2 "good" gcse's for stats and ebacc purposes.

2. Could you make it a bit clearer please? So for example in the science two GCSE league tables would a core and a BTEC count?

3. Mangleworzle

No.
    Core would be one, but btec wouldn't.

4. I thought that would be the case. Don't suppose you know where I'd find documentation to back that up do you? Need to prove to my HoF that as last minute dash to get them a BTECin order to massage our state would be worthless (to say nothing of how pointless it is for the pupils)unless he wants to dash them through the extended cert which counts for 2 grades!

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My understanding is that btec would not count for ebacc as the word "applied" appears in the title and it does not say gcse on the certificate.
    They may change the rules though.

6. My understanding is that it wont count - Btecs don't count at all for Ebacc and althought they do for most stats doubling up core + single BTEC doesnt as they cover the same content - its like you can't count core and biology as 2...

If the students do the extended cert then they will count as two this year.

All change in 2014, or whenever Gove's next bright idea appears.

7. Mangleworzle

It counts as part of the 5, unlike many btecs that were dropped as they had some daft "equivalence". There's a measure of 2 "good" gcse's though which is separate for which btec doesn't count as it's still largely continuous assessment rather than mainly a final exam. For the pupil it makes little difference, for the school however it does make a difference, depends on how you want to farm your pupils.
    I know this from emails and converstaions with our exam board, SMT etc., it'll be online somewhere no doubt but I don't have a link.

8. BTEC is a total doss. Make a key to tell a leopard from a tiger - PASS. Copy a food web from the board - PASS. Give me all the BTEC - its great. Get a good laugh from the students with all the latest goss. They could'nt give a fu ck and neither can I

9. Edexcelscienceteam

Edexcelscienceteam New commenter

In 2014 the two new BTEC First Awards in Applied Science: Principles of Applied Science and Application of Science will each count as one GCSE equivalent in the Performance Tables (2 in total). A Science GCSE and the BTEC First in Application of Science would each count as one GCSE in Performance Tables, i.e. as two GCSEs in the 5 A* - C measures. However, the BTEC would not count towards the Ebacc.
    Peter
    Edexcel science team

10. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Hello Peter,

I know the last message was a while ago and you may not pick this up, but can you confirm is this the situation currently? Can a Btec (Equivalent to 1 GCSE) and core Science count as the '2 good GCSE' measure. If so where can I find documentation to evidence this?
    Thanks