1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Controlled Assessments

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sarahleggett, Jan 6, 2012.

1. At my school we do 2 writing and 1 speaking in Year 10 then 2 speaking and 1 writing in Year 11. Then we make the decision which are the best 2 from each skill to submit to exam board. The timings are always a bit tight but I've found that often the 1st piece of coursework is a bit of a learning curve for the pupils and they understand what they have to do in time for the 2nd piece. Hope this helps (hate the CA by the way!)

2. Thanks onewelshlad - I was just about to post a similar message. We've done 5 writing and will have done 3 speaking but some students (mostly those targeted C grade) have not achieved anywhere near their target. I'm now wondering if it would be better to do fewer assessments to allow more time for revision and treat them like proper exams as I don't think students are taking them seriously enough. What experiences do people have of doing something like this? Have results been better by doing fewer assessments rather than more? Any comments/advice equally welcome!

3. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I began by doing 2 CAs(1 writing, 1 speaking) in year 10 and then the plan was to do 1 of each again in year 11. However, the year 10 ones were so badly done that I now use the first 1(probably writing) as a full scale practice. I spend a while pointing out what was wrong and commenting in depth on what they did- all this allowed as it is not now intended as a CA piece. This has worked to some extent so that I now do just 1 CA in year 10 and 3 in year 11, having no real time to do others and choose the best. Results last summer were excellent(despite marking issues with the writing!).

4. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

With my first GCSE cohort under this specification, I did one practice writing and speaking plus a writing in year 10, then a further 2 speakings and writing in year 11. I made the last speaking I did cross-context, then I was able to combine it with revision of different subject areas. It appeared to work, it was quite experimental and I admit that I didn't feel comfortable throughout a lot of the course, it being the first time we'd done the new syllabus. My main problem as head of department is when I get pupils who do their utmost to wriggle out of doing these controlled assessments. Some pupils really don't take them seriously. I appear to be in a constant state of nagging and letting the pupils know that THIS is the REAL thing and not a minor assessment. MM