1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE controlled Assessment

Discussion in 'Geography' started by noloughlin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I am looking for help with the controlled assessment part of the GCSE course. I am a Head of Department in a new school and this year I have had to do a local study for the data collection part of the controlled assessment. However I would very much like to make this part of a residential to another part of the UK, but I am aware of the cost implication to the students. As this is part of the course does anyone have any ideas as to how I can do this? Has anyone done a residential in the past for coursework and how did you solve the problem? Any help and advice gratefully received. Many thanks

2. I am looking for help with the controlled assessment part of the GCSE course. I am a Head of Department in a new school and this year I have had to do a local study for the data collection part of the controlled assessment. However I would very much like to make this part of a residential to another part of the UK, but I am aware of the cost implication to the students. As this is part of the course does anyone have any ideas as to how I can do this? Has anyone done a residential in the past for coursework and how did you solve the problem? Any help and advice gratefully received. Many thanks

3. Hi noloughlin
    I will answer this one wearing two hats...
    <u>First hat - Chair of Learning Outside the Classroom Group of the GA</u>; doing a residential is a brilliant opportunity for students it will give them the chance to fully immerse themselves in geography and will no doubt be a far more cohesive learning experience than a series of one day 'trips'. there is the flip side of the extra cost, but there is lots of evidence available that points to the benefits of doing fieldwork and also residential experiences. it is also a great marketing tool for selling geography within the school, but I suspect you are alread fully aware of that. Doing it as a residential will also allow you to achive more or the low level control work whilst away from the 'distractions' that may creep in at school. this is where hat 2 comes in!
    <u>Head of Centre, FSC Nettlecombe Court;</u> the FSC offer a range of courses for Controlled Assessment ranging from short 3 day ones for the low level control part up to 5 day courses which in some cases can allow a significant (if not all) of the high level control.
    There is no denying that taking a group away involves a cost, however the benfeits that are gained socially, academicaly and more importantly thorugh a deeper subject understanding outweigh this. Few students get the chance to benefit from the experiences of a residential so they should feel proud of the fact that they are being given this chance.
    If you would like to contact me to discussanything you can get my contact details at the link below
    http://www.geography.org.uk/aboutus/committeesspecialinterestgroups/lotcsig/
    This link will help with general information including 'selling' to your SMT!
    http://www.geography.org.uk/resources/fieldwork/
    And finally, the marketing bit!
    http://www.field-studies-council.org/outdoorclassroom/keystage4geography.aspx
    Good luck in whatever you end up doing.