1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gcse computing

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by indigotony, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I have just been told that as of January my OCRLevel 2 option group will be doing the GCSE iin computing by my CLT.

As a head of department I thought I would have at least been asked for my opinion

Any one got experience of a) the OCR GCSE in computing and b) being told what to deliver to the students?

A frustrated head of department

2. I have just been told that as of January my OCRLevel 2 option group will be doing the GCSE iin computing by my CLT.

As a head of department I thought I would have at least been asked for my opinion

Any one got experience of a) the OCR GCSE in computing and b) being told what to deliver to the students?

A frustrated head of department

3. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'm running GCSE Computing with a pilot group of 25 bright, well motivated students who have previously shown an interest in the technical side of things. It's running really well and I'm loving teaching it.
    However, my background is computer science (as my degree and then my work as a web programmer before becoming a teacher) and I chose to deliver the course, no one was forcing me to do so. If either of those two things weren't in place I don't think either the students or I would enjoy it anywhere near as much.
    I have sympathy though with being told which course to deliver - I would have thought it poilte though to involve you in the decision.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

That seems like quite a change, especially after the course has started - what do the students and parents think? Have you checked that the people who have made the decision understand the difference between Computing and ICT?

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

That's evil - that's akin to telling a Physics group they're doing Biology next term instead.
    If students have opted for a subject and been then told they have to do a completely different one - especially after having started! - that's just wrong. I agree whole-heartedly with JJL - do the SLT know what the decision would mean?

6. Be warned - this is a major jump.
    Simply if you have an "ICT" background you'll struggle to teaching Computing. Unless you have a degree or technical experience you'll suffer your way through the Computer Science subject knowledge.
    Specifically, you'll need to be able to program and write software in at least one high level programming language. Python, C, C#, Java... If you don't have a programmer in your team - my advice you need to immediately go back to your leadership team and say you can't deliver it. Yes - I am serious!! Computing = programming. Its a very significant part of the spec.

7. I agree tosbrown, but just to add, you'll also need to be very comfortable with all the theory concepts as, like a Maths teacher, you'll have to be prepared to tackle it at different angles and give different methods so that all pupils understand it so they find it easier to memorise. Binary and Hex conversions are one example as I've now taught three different methods and each pupil has their preference as some didn't understand first time. other examples are Lossy vs. Lossless and different methods of writing pseudocode.
    I personally love it but do have a CS degree and my colleague who doesn't is struggling.

8. Being pushed around like that doesn't sound good.

Maybe though you could use it as an opportunity? I'd be quite pleased to have SLT interested in what happens in my subject area rather than just rubbing their hands at OCR results.