1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Computing Stats

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by essexwideboy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. essexwideboy

essexwideboy New commenter

Hi all, trying to look at the stats and decide whether to change board etc.

I've read that 9-4 pass rate overall for computing was 61% national, 10% down on the average for other subjects. I've also read that Computing grades are 1.28 of a grade less than other subjects when using maths as a bench mark. The pass mark for AQA was 48% and for EDUQAS 28%. Does anyone know the pass rates for different boards? Is AQA harder to pass or is the EDUQAS exam less accessible to the students? Thoughts please (0:

2. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

As far as I am aware...

When comparing to other subjects, you need to keep in mind that each exam board set their own grade boundaries.

EdExcel, OCR and AQA seem to be similar in terms of content and accessibility. Out of these three, EdExcel had the lowest pass rate (but do check their web sites for the exact grade boundaries).

Keep in mind that grade boundaries can, and do change from year to year. Jumping from one to the other may not always be a good idea. I'd consider building on what's already in place.

SundaeTrifle and essexwideboy like this.
  3. essexwideboy

essexwideboy New commenter

Thanks for your input
    How do you know Edexcel had the lowest pass rate? That's the stats I haven't found yet. The grade boundaries for Edexcel were lower than AQA so the exam must have been harder.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

So you are looking to pick the exam board with the highest pass rate?

No other criteria? Like maybe the subject matter which most suits your students?

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

While each Awarding Body sets its own grade boundaries, they are overseen by Ofqual. The boundaries are set with reference to other data such as previous performance. So if one exam has a very high-powered entry cohort, its percentage pass is likely to be higher than one with a weaker cohort. I think you are chasing a shadow.

6. Aikidoka

Aikidoka New commenter

Here are some national stats from the summer:
    Grade 5 or above: OCR 47.23%, Edexcel 45%, AQA 52.7%, WJEC 45%

Entry numbers are interesting too:
    OCR 30753, Edexcel 6232, AQA 13728, WJEC 2108