1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Computing question

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by compisbest, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me, please. I am about to teach Databases on the GCSE Computing course (OCR). I have checked the specification and visited this site: http://www.gcsecomputing.org.uk/theory/1_5/index.html
    There seems to be quite a gulf between what is required according to the specification and what is detailed on this site as relevant, with regards to Relational database e.g. different types of relationship, data consistency etc There seems to be a lot more detail than I understood from a training day.
    Can anyone shine some light on exactly what is and isn't in the specification for this topic, please? I don't want to get into to much A Level type theory, although I can understand providing 'background reading'.
    Thanks

2. By all means make use of the site for background reading - you are the best judge of how much beyond the spec you want to take your students. But you won't go far wrong if...
    1. You make sure that the students have set up, populated and interrogated a simple three table database.
    2. The students can answer simple straightforward questions on the topics listed in the spec.
    Take a look at the exam papers to get a "feel" but don't worry about going too deep.
    Once the Hodder stuff comes out (yes, I know!), you'll get the idea.

3. Yes, thanks. I'm trying to get the level right in class for the gcse. Pupils who want to go beyond this in their own time is good, but my focus is the gcse level. I've emailed ocr asking that a more detailed clearer syllabus be provided or teacher's guide. The above site is good but we don't use it now very often in class. Too many topics seem copied from notes that were made for A Level courses and end up confusing kids who aren't ready or end up with me spending lots of time on explanations which aren't needed. I use it though!

4. Just make sure they are comfortable with all the definitions needed (and there are loads!) and this section should be fairly easy. Took me about 4 single lessons to teach it all. Obviously creating a relational database system as mention is very useful.

5. Thanks. We spent this week putting together a basic database and should finish it off next week. Just looking at networks now. The specification asks pupils to describe each star, bus and ring topologies with a deiagram or otherwise. I am delighted that 'advantages and disadvantages' of topologies are not part of this specification as there are so many permuatations that making sensible statements is practically impossible. Not sure why the gcse computing site includes a lot info on this though - it ain't in the syllabus (straight from the horse's mouth!!)

6. To be fair, the gcsecomputing site is set up by a teacher (a wonderful one!) and was done at the beginning of the course when we were just starting, based on the information given to teachers at the time and an interpretation of the specification. Mr Travi doesn't claim to have the site as "gospel" and has been very kind to let it be visible to all of us rather than just his own school.

7. Yes, you are right. I think it is a very good site and I do use it - I'm very grateful to the person who did it. I hope they continue to develop it. I do think that it wouldn't take more than a few hours to go through and remove the bits that aren't in the syllabus and then I could unleash pupils without worrying about them trying to learn too much that they won't need. But there are some really helpful sections.