1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Computing or ICT?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by msedwards, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hello,
    This might seem like a silly question, but please bare with me I'm new to this subject space and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information there is online.
    What is the current situation with ICT/Computing in schools? I'm not sure what GCSE's there are available at present? Which ones are the best? Is there a Computing GCSE or it is just ICT?
    Michael Gove's speech, what does this mean for the future of ICT/Computing?
    Thanks

2. Hello,
    This might seem like a silly question, but please bare with me I'm new to this subject space and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information there is online.
    What is the current situation with ICT/Computing in schools? I'm not sure what GCSE's there are available at present? Which ones are the best? Is there a Computing GCSE or it is just ICT?
    Michael Gove's speech, what does this mean for the future of ICT/Computing?
    Thanks

3. Look on each exam board's website for the latest info. My advice is avoid GCSE ict at all costs, even if they linger on in slow death. We are doing the AQA one and it is absolutely horrendous. Apart from being full of tedious waffle topics in the theory, there is no way you can do this course in the recommended 120 hours, 200 is more accurate. The controlled assessments are frankly a disgrace and are the biggest problem with this course; completely boring tasks that pupils hate and get nothing out of and from my point of view, they have taken up months of my time to mark. I retire this year but if I were you, computing is the way to go.

4. We do GCSE ICT from Edexcel at the moment and I wish I'd never embarked on the course. I was too late to switch over this year, as the options had already been decided, but next year I'll probably offer GCSE CS to those that want to do it and are academically capable, and Cambridge Nationals to others. I agree with mymoose that GCSE ICT is probably going to die a death.

5. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

I couldn't agree more. Possibly the worst excuse for an ICT course I've ever encountered...except for all the rest. Utterly relentlessly boring The kids learn nothing except how to screenshot ad nausea.

6. I'd agree with all of this. We do WJEC's course. Too much content to fit into 120 hours, definitely. Boring controlled assessments.

Personally, I would quite like to offer two GCSE courses. One being computer science, the other having a multimedia focus (as in proper creating video, sound editing etc, not the simplistic garbage in the controlled assessments). Alas, I have yet to see a proper gcse (i.e. not vocational drivel) multimedia-focus course.