1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Computing Options - IS there only one choice?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by catch222, Jan 14, 2012.

1. So, like many, I'm now being encouraged to introduce a Computing course to our school from September, but I am a bit underwhelmed by our options. It appears that the only course at GCSE in Computing is with OCR. This course is thought of as a bit dry, complicated and over the top?
    No other choices I believe?!

Please tell me there IS another option?!

2. So, like many, I'm now being encouraged to introduce a Computing course to our school from September, but I am a bit underwhelmed by our options. It appears that the only course at GCSE in Computing is with OCR. This course is thought of as a bit dry, complicated and over the top?
    No other choices I believe?!

Please tell me there IS another option?!

3. Did you really post this at 4 in the morning?

4. The new (as in still in labour new) Cambridge Nationals has a programming module, as well as a hardware/networking module (build and connect up a PC). Add the two compulsory units and you have a single award with Computing elements.

Similarly, the OCR GCSE ICT has an optional programming (as opposed to multimedia) unit.

5. Edexcel are to launch GCSE Computer Science but it will be a pilot initially. More detail here:

http://bit.ly/w0isIX