1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Computing (OCR) course - pilot status removed

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by theteacher.info, Sep 10, 2011.

1. I see that the pilot status for this course has been removed. This is a very welcome development.
    theteacher.info

2. I see that the pilot status for this course has been removed. This is a very welcome development.
    theteacher.info

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

It would be great news but is still says "Pilot" on the website, any link to an official announcement?

4. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

It was announced yesterday on the official GCSE Computing email list.

5. It certainly was.
    On the one hand, I can't help but go 'woopee' because this is the first proper computer-related course to come on the market for donkeys years, buried as it was by the drossy ICT offerings of recent years.
    On the other hand, OCR still haven't got the level of difficulty right yet. The coursework is too hard, time-consuming and demanding for KS4 pupils. Personally, we are planning to do the OCR AS Computing course with our KS4 pupils from next year, especially after visiting a school that has been doing it for a while now. No coursework at all for two whole years and a nice, clear, logical syllabus - HEAVEN!

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

@notmcdiploma - sounds great but what if they want to go on to a higher level? Won't this cause them problems with UCAS applications?

7. It saddens me to say that OCR have scored a massive own goal with Computing GCSE. They didn't listen to the concerns about the level of difficulty from pilot schools and the qualification has been confirmed without amendment from what was there in the pilot.
    In my opinion the qualification isn't pitched properly for KS4 - I know because I have experience of A level and 1 year of the GCSE pilot. The coursework is too time consuming and difficult in the time limit allowed. They simply didn't listen and aren't listening (a concern well voiced on other threads).
    My firm advice. Avoid it and wait for the other exam boards to jump onto Computing at GCSE level, or alternatively, seriously consider AS level (but like the previous post watch out for clear progression). I am a positive person, and this is postive action. I say avoid their GCSE to avoid you the trouble and pain of delivering it (yes, still without any kind of textbook by the way).

8. "We're watching what mistakes OCR make before writing our own".
    - Senior Computing person with a leading exam board, late 2010.