1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Computing - How many?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by -, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Guest

If you offered GCSE Computing in your option choices for September - how many pupils have chosen it as an option? Just wondering how popular it is in other schools.

2. From a cohort of 235 we've got 11 doing computing next year (having turned 3 away), 28 doing ICT, 24 doing iMedia and 11 doing Cambridge Nationals. Interestingly, a number of potential Computing students wanted to do trip-sci, Computing and Music - a combination that isn't possible on our options forms.

3. 260 cohort
    50ish for Computing
    170ish for CNATs, 30 of whom are doing BTEC Creative Media as well

How are the rest going to get an ICT qualification? Are you going to just enter them into Functional Skills?

4. There is no requirement for every student to achieve an ICT qualification (and if there were, the iMedia and - ironically - Computing students wouldn't count anyway). We've never had 'core' ICT, and the last 3 times OFSTED visited they seemed quite happy with our setup.

I do think we'd probably get a better Computing uptake if we threatened all kids with ICT otherwise, but I'm not sure that's enough justification to make me agree with compulsory IT at KS4.

FS I do not wish to touch with an extremely long barge pole.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It is interesting. We have had core IT but now it is option only. We have 30 for Cambridge Nats and 30 for Computing, out of a 200 cohort. Worrying!!

6. We are offering it for the first time and I had a decent amount opt for it but as it's less popular than catering apparently it will be used to "mop up" kids who have nowhere else to go. When I see some of the names I've got for next year I despair, I really do.

7. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

...it will be used to "mop up" kids...
    This seems to be common at both GCSE and AS/A2 - As not only can anyone teach ICT, but it would also seem that any students can get a good grade at it -
    Even if they do "Hate computers and stuff and find spreadsheets , database,web design, project work, programming, video editing , sound editing etc etc etc. Sooooo boooooring "
    It is also interesting to note that, come September, the fact that they have been shoe-horned, kicking and screaming into your subject will be forgetten, during that "results analysis" session in the head's office
    Moving to computing will make this even worse.