1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Composition- Guitar pro/garageband. Edexcel

Discussion in 'Music' started by musicismyreligion, Feb 1, 2011.

1. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

Hi there.
    I have two pupils who want to use their own software for compositions. I am aware of the ten hours guided coursework component and the pupils are bringing in their own laptops.
    I have no experience with guitar pro, but will it create a score that can be submitted for assessment? I am assuming with the right recording and statement of intention it will be okay.
    My second question is with garageband. I have a high ability candidate, who is reaching for A/A* and likes using garageband. I know garageband only creates individual lines and not a whole score. Has anyone experience of submitting GCSE coursework with garageband? How should I advise the pupil in question? Will he still be able to reach the upper mark boundaries composing in this way?

Thanks a million for reading.

2. musicismyreligion

Hi there.
    I have two pupils who want to use their own software for compositions. I am aware of the ten hours guided coursework component and the pupils are bringing in their own laptops.
    I have no experience with guitar pro, but will it create a score that can be submitted for assessment? I am assuming with the right recording and statement of intention it will be okay.
    My second question is with garageband. I have a high ability candidate, who is reaching for A/A* and likes using garageband. I know garageband only creates individual lines and not a whole score. Has anyone experience of submitting GCSE coursework with garageband? How should I advise the pupil in question? Will he still be able to reach the upper mark boundaries composing in this way?

Thanks a million for reading.

3. Firstly, the score is not marked as part of the assessment, it is there only to fulfil the assessment criteria. If you don't have a score they will not moderate the work. However the quality of the score does not form part of the final mark - it just has to exist.
    The score or written commentary must have sufficient information on it in order for the piece to be re-created by another performer. That is the only criteria. It can be on seperate sheets if necessary. One for each part.
    If garage band will export a midi file (which I think it does) you can load this with sibelius and print it as a score. I'm not sure about guitar pro. You have to watch guitar pro - it has the facility to use samples and loops - too much of this can seriously affect the marks awarded. The student should avoid using any sample or loop that was provided with the software. All the material must have been composed themselves, not simply assembled from different prefabricated loops.

4. erp77

erp77 New commenter

I've submitted compositions done on both garage band and guitar pro.
    Guitar pro easily exports to a midi file which can then be opened up and edited and made all fancy and tidy in sibelius.
    For garage band we printed screen shots and the pupil wrote up a detailed description.
    You don't need to provide a conventional score, just a recording and sufficient details/notes/guidelines

5. musicismyreligion

Thanks to both!
    I knew the score wasn´t marked - as such, I just wanted to make sure that people had used these programs successfully before and it wouldn´t affect the overall marks.
    I know Guitar pro uses loops, I have been supervising the pupils :)

6. You possibly know all this already - Whilst GarageBand can only do a
    piano reduction (achieved by joining tracks cmd - J) which as other posters have stated satisfies the exam brief, two more advanced but convoluted
    work arounds would be to export to Logic (which reads GB files and then
    export as a midi to Sibelius, or to cut and paste to Pages, now
    available seperately from the App store for I think about £11, and
    build a fuller score representation that way.
    GB is a great programme but you have to dig around to discover the full list of its features. Its almost as though Apple are shy about telling everybody just how much the programme can do.

7. musicismyreligion

cheers! it's this kind of thing i don't know. Appreciate the help