1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE celebration

Discussion in 'Personal' started by joli2, Mar 4, 2012.

1. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I'd be surprised if you found anywhere that would take a group of unsupervised 16 year olds.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is there perhaps a cottage you could hire with a Granny Flat - so you could be there (to meet the rules) but also not there....?

That's my only thought at the moment!

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Apart from a retreat in a convent,I can't think of anywhere where a bunch a 16 years old girls might not potentially get into some kind of trouble!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A friend and I went to Alton Towers after our GCSE results. We stayed at the Youth Hostel and walked there each day. That was before the days of the onsite hotel. It might be worth seeing if they could stay there.
    It's a long way to take them though. Thorpe Park?

5. Might they enjoy a spa day? I appreciate it's not an overnight thing but this might be a bit troublesome - a lot of places will no doubt want at least one of the party to be over 18.

6. Thanks for thoughts. I think there's probably nothing without an adult attached and they'll have to wait til summer hols when the prices rocket. Spa day may be a possibility though. Being 16 is rubbish really! (So I'm told. Can't remember!)

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

My (now) wife and I went on holiday to Greece when we were 16. The travel agent just needed a not from her mother. So, it should be possible to find SOMETHING.

8. A festival?
    Beautiful Days is a good one.

9. Maybe not beautiful days...just looked at the line up...not 16 year old friendly!!

10. Run to the Sun?
    Thats based in Newquay

11. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Isn't Newquay now overrun with post-GCSE celebrants in the Summer, and likely to be a place of mayhem? [​IMG]

12. Thank you Rosie, for sticking up for me! I'm trying to be responsible here when my gut instinct is to forbid them to leave house let alone the country! I spent my 17th summer wandering America and the thought of MM + co doing that makes me feel deeply sick! Even Eurodisney worries me! That's why something with armed guards and a fence would be lovely. I thought about Butlins - shall investigate whether they would let them in unaccompanied. Also the Newquay teenagers article was very interesting. They say they don't hate us parents, but would just like to be grown up for a change. They've all saved money so it should cost us nothing but heartache...... :( (Wanders off chanting " let her go, let her go," determinedly under breath)

13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Ah Milly ... it's tough being a mum!
    Mine are a little bit older than yours so we've been through this stage and all survived.
    After my O Levels (showing my age) 5 of us went to a friend's caravan in North Wales. Not very sophisticated but we had a hoot - my main memory of it is of laughing!
    I hope you find somewhere that everyone's happy with - and that you manage to sleep ok.
    Oh... and don't fall into the trap of texting her to make sure she's allright!

14. Thank you so much for the ideas - it's not as hopeless as I thought. Not sure i'm brave enough for newquay, mind you!