1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE CCEA or AQA

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by domirati, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi

I am wondering how people got on with both of the above speicifications this year. We have Year 10 doing CCEA and debating whether to stay with the board or to change to AQA for no other reason than I am in the midlands and feel a bit 'on my own'. Anyone got any results from the first year of CA for either board or any feedback as to how it went? I like the CCEA in that the tasks are straightforward but my only worry is as they are all doing the same database, spreadsheet etc they are a bit samey. Students like the fact that they can use Gamemaker and web pages for second project.

2. Hi

I am wondering how people got on with both of the above speicifications this year. We have Year 10 doing CCEA and debating whether to stay with the board or to change to AQA for no other reason than I am in the midlands and feel a bit 'on my own'. Anyone got any results from the first year of CA for either board or any feedback as to how it went? I like the CCEA in that the tasks are straightforward but my only worry is as they are all doing the same database, spreadsheet etc they are a bit samey. Students like the fact that they can use Gamemaker and web pages for second project.

3. I'm with CCEA and am considering moving, once I can convince my school.
    Reasons to use CCEA
    - Local to me.
    - English boards don't always offer support here. AQA do for A-level, but not GCSE. AFAIK, nothing from the others.
    - You generally get a quick reply when you make contact.
    - The grass might not be greener on the other side of the fence. I've heard people say "If you think CCEA are bad, wait till you try board X".
    - I'm used to their strange ways and know where I can give a few extra marks in CA/Coursework and get away with it.
    Reasons not to use CCEA:
    - CCEA changed the Unit 1 coursework tasks several times last year. While it was the first year of the course, not realising it was badly defined shows their proof-reading policies were not so good. A-level coursework is something of a moving target also.
    - They endorse one textbook, written by people who claim to be experienced examiners. The mistakes in it are many, and significant.
    - The poor understanding of some topics seen in the book, is seen in some GCSE questions.
    - What they publish is not the 'final word'. I had feedback on my Form IV CA that reflected information given verbally at meetings, not the printed specifications. If you are not at the meetings, you may be disadvantaged for not knowing what was said.
    - At A-level, mark schemes frequently contradict past years.
    - CCEA do not encourage communication between teachers (forums, etc). Some other boards host their own.
    - Published support. The GCSE book is poor. Their examiners spent years refusing to admit the third-party A-level book existed, even when asked about it in meetings, and even though 99% of schools are using it. Some were even plugging a book written for AQA!!

4. Thank you. I am a bit miffed as they said I could have a sample of my assessment checked last term and have now said it is not possible. I also queried the fact that the mrk scheme does not bear any relation to the marks on the exam paper. That suggests that you get marks for individual tasks but the mark scheme does not. Too far in to it for current year group but thinking of changing for current year 10 as the promised support has not materialised.