1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Catering (WJEC

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by 12clare, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Hello,
    If you look an the website for the welsh board it has photo's up of different assessment dishes that have been cooked previously. You can clearly see the a/b grades. It does show a 3 course meal, however on the course I went on with Judy Gardiner a couple of weeks ago, she was heavily stressing that to gain high marks the students must cook high level skill dishes. Meat can be high or low depending on what you do with it, so again I would look on website to the sheet where it has dishes considered low, medium and High. Hope this helps.

2. Hi

Could I please ask where abouts on the website I can find the pictures and the sheet you've mentioned? A link would be great.
    You saw a three course meal but it's still a two-course meal they're after? Just want to make sure my pupils pick good dishes and don't cook two courses when three would be better. I was hoping adding side dishes to the main would show increased levels of skill.
    Would love to go to the exam board's courses but money is tight :(

Kind regards

3. rosehill

rosehill New commenter

i have also looked on website and cannot find anything photos etc .. I would like more information on what two dishes should be made. thanks

4. I suggest you e mail Alison Candy at WJEC. I did this and she sent me some exemplar materials. Sorry I don't have her e mail details but I think they can be found on the WJEC website.

5. I found some exemplary work on WJEC's website but cannot find it again on their website. It must be the old spec because it shows three courses?
    If you give me an email I can send the pdf to you.

6. rosehill

rosehill New commenter

7. Thanks, Sue, I was looking for those. At the CPD we were given the grades that these were awarded. Assuming they're in the same order they are as follows:

A/A*
    A/A*
    C
    C
    C/B
    C/B
    B/A
    C/B
    D
    D
    C

8. Why have some of the pictures got 3 courses? My understanding is that students should only do 2.