1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Business Course

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by MatthewK, Mar 27, 2012.

1. My school are moving back to GCSE's from BTEC's (finally)!! in the past i have used Edexcel Business and Economics. However as its a fresh start i'm casting my net further. Does anyone have any opions about the other awarding boadies, or Edexcels own Business GCSE? Any advice would be most welcome!!

2. Hiyah
    I have been teaching the OCR for 5 years now and I examine on the AQA GCSE and I can recommend them both.
    The OCR is great if you have a mixed ability group of students and its splits nicely into Controlled Assessment / Business and people / Production and finance which I happen to think is a good way to split the topics up. Works really well with practical groups who like lots of kinesthetic activities like a tuck shop or a sit in for trade unions etc. I have had accurate results from CATs with the OCR - and the OCR team are very supportive.
    The AQA would be more suitable if you have very high achieving academic candidates who need questions that will let them stretch their legs on some of the longer questions - so they can achieve the A*. This may be the case if you are in an indi school with a lot of pressure from parents to reach those top marks. I have been examining for 11 years and I am always impressed at the quality of the candidates responses. The leveled response system is nice and straightforward to teach the kids and they can see a link between analysis and their mark and evaluation and their mark.
    On balance depends on your kids that you are likely to get. I hope this has helped - if you need any more help of want to speak to a human being you can e-mail me on revisionstation@hotmail.co.uk
    Regards
    Sarah Hilton