1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Business (1-9) specs

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Snorkers, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

Hi!

I've written a comparison of the new GCSE specs in preparation for discussing it with my department later this term. I've put it on the resource area if it's useful for anyone else (although I did finish it at ridiculous o'clock during the holiday, so it might not be 100% accurate!)

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/comparison-of-gcse-business-1-9-specifications-11410352

I know Tutor2u have also done a comparison, as has @ZigZagBusiness on Twitter. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts, though - I'm still really undecided.

storm123 and sohara1 like this.
  2. racingpost

racingpost New commenter

Interesting document. I agree with the fact that OCR appears easier, but I bet the grade boundaries will be punishing so one small slip will cost candidates dear. Which spec are you going for? I am sticking with Edexcel. I like the contemporary papers and the consistency of marking - and to be honest the results do reflect the ladder of my candidate's abilities.

storm123 likes this.
  3. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

I've still not decided yet - I need a bit of time to really get my head round it again: it's on my list for the early days of next month. We're currently doing OCR, but the biggest grievance has been Controlled Assessment, which is going anyway. Kids do find the high grade boundaries difficult psychologically, too, so maybe a change is as good as a rest!

4. sak121

sak121 New commenter

I am thinking of running the AQA spec. The only reason is we previously ran this course with the 2 exams & 1 controlled assessment so content would be similar - thus easier to plan. I think are similar due to the 100% exam element.

5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Anyone started creating resources for AQA 1-9 yet. Happy to collaborate.

6. alfm786

alfm786 New commenter

We are currently with Edexcel and will be continuing with them, there are not huge differences in the specification with just a few points taken out and replaced with other points for example the introduction of analysing social media from a Business perspective. The way I see the new Edxcel spec is teaching 2 unit 3's, I'm kind of glad the unit 1 is going with its extremely high grade boundaries (38 out of 40 for an 'A', 31 out of 40 for a 'C') and vagueness in questioning methods,

7. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

We've decided to go for the Edexcel spec, rather than AQA. The key thing that swung it was the type of students we have taking the course: I think the AQA course is more interesting, but the exams will be more challenging for students with weaker literacy skills. However, having sat down with the Edexcel spec, we're going to teach it in functions, rather than thematically. I think that gives a good way of shaking things up when we get to revision. I now need to find a textbook that supports that way of organising the course...!

8. LivelyEducation

LivelyEducation New commenter

I also like teaching GCSE in functions for the first 15 months or so then build up links once students have understood the basics. I guess this can be done whichever spec is followed now that there is no controlled assessment. Hopefully grade boundaries will also improve for all the boards now there are only 2 units instead of 3 and max marks for one unit wont be 40 or 60.

Snorkers likes this.
  9. tonyuk

What do you mean by teaching in functions...I am intrigued by this approach

10. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

Looking through the spec, it struck me that there is a lot of overlap between Themes 1 and 2 - marketing is marketing, whether that is for a small business or a big business. I've therefore planned our scheme of work so that we do each functional area in one go, and then split the topics during revision. That fits more neatly with how we were teaching the course anyway (for a different spec) so we can recycle a lot of existing teaching resources.

The only problem I foresee with this approach is that all of the textbooks take a thematic approach, so don't fit with the way we are going to do things. Mind you, we hardly use the textbook anyway, so don't think it'll make that much difference in the long run!

11. jit

jit New commenter

we have decided to go for Edexcel - happy to share / exchange resources??

12. ctuohy11

ctuohy11 New commenter

Will be using Edexcel too next year - currently trying to decide on a textbook to you (don't use them that much aside from practice questions / activities) Currently it's between Hodder Education (Ian Marcouse) and Pearson - anyone have any suggestions / comments on what they have gone for? Thanks :)

13. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

I'm having a textbook dilemma - we're doing edexcel but we're going to teach in functions rather than than in themes, but all the textbooks I've seen are arranged by theme. I'm considering getting the tutor2u edexcel course companion etextbook and doing a copy/paste job to get it in the right order for our scheme of work. Such a big decision, though - must get inspection copies to make sure it's the right choice.

14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

For their A'level I used the integrated approach to plan the SOW and the textbook didn't really matter since by the end it was all covered anyway, could your students not cope with you providing a topic list as you go through? At least there would be fewer sections in the GCSE.

15. Law2701

Law2701 New commenter

Interested to read all your comments re the new GCSE, I have always liked edexcel but my colleague feels Educas is better for lower ability. Is anyone doing this spec?

16. leemurphy1

leemurphy1 New commenter

I'd stay clear of WJEC/Eduqas. The OCR papers look the best for lower ability students - the first 15 marks of both papers are multiple choice and the highest mark question is 9.

(Comments made by owner do not reflect views of Murphy Resources)

17. ngflblount

ngflblount New commenter

We are creating resources to support our new spec - They are all free. Here is the first chapter of our online notes http://resources.eduqas.co.uk/Pages/ResourceSingle.aspx?rIid=1029
    We also have a resource supporting quantitative skills http://resources.eduqas.co.uk/Pages/ResourceSingle.aspx?rIid=956

18. Law2701

Law2701 New commenter

Thanks Lee, I will have another look at OCR. Although I have just looked at the educas resources below and they are using current and update material but it will take me some time to go through the 115 page booklet.

19. tonyuk

We have just bought a course CD from revisionstation (google them) I seem to remember they has edexcel and OCR courses on new spec. Really good - I have had to add a few things that were missing but cheap and lots of resources(I dont work for them by the way just trying to give everyone a heads up rather than reinventing the wheel...about £80 for the course on CD).

sohara1 likes this.
  20. sohara1

sohara1 New commenter

I would second the use of revision station, has given us the basis to build our lessons around for the new Edexcel spec.