1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE AQA performance marking criteria

Discussion in 'Music' started by beef595, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hi all,

I'm after advice from an experienced teacher of this course. The mark scheme says there are 8 marks available for "Accuracy of pitch and rhythm". How would a student who is performing a piece from memory and has learnt it "without the notes" gain marks in this area?

Thanks.

2. Hi all,

I'm after advice from an experienced teacher of this course. The mark scheme says there are 8 marks available for "Accuracy of pitch and rhythm". How would a student who is performing a piece from memory and has learnt it "without the notes" gain marks in this area?

Thanks.

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

The student should provide either a notated score or a recording of the piece (from which they learnt it by ear), against which the teacher/marker should assess 'accuracy of pitch and rhythm'.
    Ie. if they're playing a piece of Beethoven, even if they're playing it from memory, it should still be accurate and true to the score, therefore a score should be provided for assessment.
    If they're playing Jimi Hendrix, then they probably learnt it by listening to the piece (provide a CD recording to be assessed against) or from a tab sheet (provide the tab sheet to be assessed against).

4. I am pretty sure that if there is no score or tab available for a piece that a student has learnt by ear you should provide a copy of the original recording so that the examiner can compare the 2 to judge the accuray. I'm sure it says that in the sylabus.

5. I have inherited a class this year who have recorded some performances. One pupil has performed the song "You've got a friend in me". It's an excellent performance which I think should deserve near full marks but it's sung with quite alot of individual style. This is neither written or copied from a performance she has heard. How should I mark this as regards its accuracy of pitch and rhythm?

6. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Maybe it should be submitted as an 'arrangement' if it's that far from the original that it can't be counted as an accurate performance??
    Even if the student has put 'quite a lot of individual style' into the performance, can you still mark the accuracy of the pitching/rhythm??
    Or can you use the 'improvisation of a solo performance' marking criteria rather than the strict 'performance' criteria (I'm thinking Edexcel mark scheme).

7. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Having only returned to AQA this year I am not tottally familiar with the AQA spec yet but generally I think it is OK to produce a score or a recording of the music performed for the examiner to judge the performance against. It doesn't matter whether the music was followed or learned by ear.
    Also for a performance of a popular song interpretation is allowed as it is part of the genre style. As long as it doesn't sound 'wrong'.

8. Submit a score with the recording of the students performance but simply write score as guide at the top of the score so the examiner knows that the performer has not followed the score exactly. (This is what I have been told on standardisation meeting run by AQA) Or as someone else said provide a recording of the original of the piece if it was learned by ear.

9. I have not read all the posts...
    From my experience, if a student has learnt it by ear, you have to submit the score and state how they have learnt it and indicate where the varioations are. They can perform their own versions of pieces but you must declare this ortherwise marks will be deducted.