1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE AQA or WJEC

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by marrriner, May 31, 2012.

1. I currently teach GCSE and A-level Sociology via AQA. However, I'm concerned that the kids who did GCSE are basically doing more or less the same course at A-level, just more detailed. Therefore, I'm considering changing the GCSE from AQA to WJEC. Has anybody else done this and was it a good move? Do you get the same sort of support from WJEC such as schemes of work etc? Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

2. I currently teach GCSE and A-level Sociology via AQA. However, I'm concerned that the kids who did GCSE are basically doing more or less the same course at A-level, just more detailed. Therefore, I'm considering changing the GCSE from AQA to WJEC. Has anybody else done this and was it a good move? Do you get the same sort of support from WJEC such as schemes of work etc? Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

3. Hello

Just come across this - and looking at the date my reply may be of no use now! I haven't ever taught Sociology until starting my new post last week, but had the same worries re GCSE and A Level so opted for WJEC at GCSE to enable some variation of topics. The WJEC website itself isn't great in terms of schemes, but other places like sociologyexchange are great, and I found using the ones you can get from the AQA website helped massively as a framework to start writing schemes. If you have decided to go for WJEC, keep in touch and maybe we can support each other with schemes resources or exam strategies etc?

Mel

4. Hi Mel,

I have just returned to this site and spotted your message. Thanks for replying. I did opt to continue with the AQA course and there is definitely a lot of repetition in it. So much so that some of my kids have dropped the A-level. Therefore, I am definitely going to change to the WJEC board next year. (If it still exists!) I like the idea of keeping in touch to support each other so I'll contact you nearer the time if that's ok. Cheers. Paul.