1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE and A level outcomes as performance management targets?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by flutey00, Sep 25, 2015.

1. flutey00

flutey00 New commenter

I've just started a new job in a secondary after a few years abroad. I have just had a first meeting regarding the performance management cycle and one of my targets is that all of my students must achieve their predicted grades in external exams.

I've said that I need to think about this before signing it as it's a quasi legal document which could be used against me in the future. Whilst I see it as my responsibility to provide purposeful lessons, set work, track attainment and intervene where necessary, and am happy to have my outcomes monitored over a long period of time, to be quality assured and observed etc, I don't see how I can commit to all students always meeting their predicted grades and I think I would be mad to do so in writing. I don't think it's reasonable to ask an established teacher to do that, let alone someone who is taking over sets half way through their courses.

Is this sort of thing the norm now? Frankly I see it as bullying and OTT.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You shouldn't

I could write a lot on this but it's probably easier if you have a look at Jack Marwood's excellent blog http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/

It's also very good on the statistical illiteracy that gives rise to the stupid that is so prevalent in schools now. Your targets will have been set by people who basically do not understand what's happening,

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Unless the targets are set as low worst case outcomes this is totally unreasonable. If these are FFTD predictions then they are far from that. The use of data in schools is appalling. No one class is a statistically significant sample which is just one reason why results should not be used in this way.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

sigh.

Although I do not have much UK secondary experience (starting my 2nd full year), we are trying to resist this at my current school as it is unfair - we as teachers can only do so much and to rely on exam results as PRP is ridiculous. Worse is the setting of unrealistic grade predictions - at my last school, we were told to mark/grade at a minimum B. I knew that some students would struggle and when results were announced, students who I thought would get Cs, did. Had I predicted only As and Bs according to the school's logic, therefore, there is no way that any teacher could have achieved the predicted grades - of course, this may be what the higher powers want = no PRP!

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It's used to keep the wage bill down.

Set unrealistic targets. Teachers don't reach the targets, they don't get an incremental rise or if they are on UPS3 they get pressured by threats of capability and resign to be replaced by cheap NQTs.

sabrinakat likes this.