1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE additional appled unit 3 - AQA

Discussion in 'Science' started by xxx22xxx, Jan 30, 2008.

1. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

Hello,

I am trying to organise the unit 3. The pupils have done practicals linked to the unit 2, and now i am trying to figure out which ivestigations the pupils will find the easiest/interesting.

I have some ideas like looking at materials for sports shoes.

Has anyone done any unit 3 coursework pieces yet? If so any advice on which ones to follow and which ones to run away from?

Any advice, tips, ideas greatly appreciated!

2. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

Hello,

I am trying to organise the unit 3. The pupils have done practicals linked to the unit 2, and now i am trying to figure out which ivestigations the pupils will find the easiest/interesting.

I have some ideas like looking at materials for sports shoes.

Has anyone done any unit 3 coursework pieces yet? If so any advice on which ones to follow and which ones to run away from?

Any advice, tips, ideas greatly appreciated!

3. Do you just teach the sports science bit?

If not I can tell you what I am doing at moment linked to food science....got the ideas from people on here and seems to be going ok so far

4. If you get the chance do the forensic science option as your prac has been by far the best stuff we have done in a long while and has really stimulated the kids

5. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

I am teaching all three areas, so any help with any of the areas would be appreciated. I am the only teacher teaching the applied and am stuck on how to run the investigations - well one that is good enough to get decent marks.

Any specifics to help me?

6. Make sure your investigations have a calculation in it.
    Food Science - Comparing Orange Juices, looking at acidity, mass of solids, vitamin C content etc
    Sports Science - I am giving this one a miss !
    Forensic Science - Solving a crime which must involve collection of evidence and its analysis. Calculation in this would be something like an Rf value or refractive index.

7. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

Thanks for the replies.

Am i correct in thinking that each investigation has to have at least 3 strands to it as in 3 variables/mini investigations?

How did you do your food science gemmalouanna?

Swebby: When you did the vitamin C, did you look at acidity through the concentration or just pH?

8. We just did pH as it was only a practice, however if I was going to do it for real I would have gone for a titration method.

9. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

I have done a white vinegar experiment - as it had a titration, trying to get the kids to practice!

When i first wheeled out the burettes on clamp stands the pupils were shocked and saying 'what the xxxx is that?!'

I was shocked - they had never seen or used one before. Or heard of a titration!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help swebby.

BTW swebby why did you decide to give the sports science a miss?

I have started mine on a fitness programme one as a few of the kids have done something similar in GCSE P.E.

10. I tried to do a fitness programme type thing when we used to do GNVQ Science but you had to rely on the students following a proramme over a number of weeks. It just wasn't going to work !

11. I've not been told that we have to do 3 mini investigations in the unit 3 portfolio. We are just looking at the acidity and the vitamin C content of different orange juices. I have shown this to my portfolio advisor and I also phoned the AQA Science office to make sure that this was ok and they said it was fine - didn't mention that we needed to do another variable! where did you hear that you needed to do 3?

12. to any colleagues reading this re; applied addiional AQA -

please upload any resources you have created to the TES web site resources area-

i've been asking aqa to sort this out in their forums but they're not responsive to suggestions, it seems, from teachers actually delivering their course.

i will gladly share all i have

ta, and ttfn LS

astleyscience@aol.com

13. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

I was informed at an AQA standardisation meeting that to get the highest marks that the pupils should portfolio should have 3 variables for investigation.

i will double check with my portfolio adviser.

When you did your investigation how much info and help did you give the pupils? Did you give them the methods for the pracs?

14. we gave different help depending on the ability of the class. they've done the practicals before in class so we just generally guided them in the right direction, with some i showed a demo of the prac - they will only get stage 1 marks for planning.

The info on each marking point that we got at the meeting does not specify anywhere that 3 variables are needed, it just says that you need to do a calculation to get higher marks.

after having spoken to my portfolio advisor (who previously said what we were doing was fine) he now says he needs to ask his boss - it seems like no one actually knows what is required!

if you want i'll email the helpsheets that we have made?

15. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

Hi,

Well - i was told by the guy at the standardisation meeting, but emailed my portfolio adviser,should find out soon - or not!!

Those helpsheets would be great actually, if you could email them to xx22xx@hotmail.co.uk

if you have anything else that is useful i would really appreciate it - i have been lumbered with the task of doing the whole course with a group of year 11s!!!!

Which other investigations are you doing?

16. xxx22xxx: I asked this same Q about portfolio few months back and took Swebby's advice and did orange juice investigation.

We have looked at Vit C, Acidity (Titration), % suspended matter - so the kids have done plenty of calculations.

As for methods, we had previously done the practicals when doing the food science topic so they had practical write-ups to refer to in their books, although I have probably guided them too much - it is so hard to judge!

Will be looking at conclusions this week and not quite sure what/how much they need for this????

17. the best thing to do is to use the info on the marking points for each strand (That we got at the standardisation meeting) and make a marking grid.

i did this and it enables you to see exactly what is needed in each part of the investigation and any help sheets for the students were centred around this!

18. hi i just wanted to ask if any one has an example of any pupils unit 3 course work because i havent taught this in a long time and the others are still with the examiner if anyone can help please do