1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE 9-1 AQA - assessment grade boundaries

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Geogclaire, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Geogclaire

Geogclaire New commenter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I want to mark my year 10 assessments as accurately as possible, however I cannot find suggested grade boundaries anywhere on the internet for the new 9-1 GCSE (AQA).

The only grade boundaries I have found are:
    9 - 92%
    8 - 85%
    7 - 78%
    6 - 72%
    5 - 66%
    4 - 60%
    3- 52%
    2 - 42%
    1- 32%

But these grade boundaries seem to high to me, achieving 32% and only getting a level 1 which is equivalent to F/G.

What grade boundaries have other people been using for assessments?

Thanks
    Claire

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I'm not teaching AQA, but haven't come across any! I understood 9 would be around 96%.

If you come across any (or grade descriptors) please point us in the right direction. I can't be the only one who feels that they are wandering around in the dark!

Geogclaire likes this.
  3. tosh740

tosh740 New commenter

Hi, agree that everyone is in the dark on this. The exam boards will not publish grade boundaries until after the exam. They don't know either! The dropping of tiers of entry make setting an 'accurate' exam really difficult as weaker students are now expected to engage with more demanding questions. The difference between physical and human papers on the old AQA A spec ( On the higher paper it is over a grade different) makes it even more confusing to set grade boundaries. We have been using 25% 'pass' at the bottom (34% seems too high as you say) and 95% for grade 9. My gut feeling is half marks should be a 4 (an old foundation C - can describe and explain but not develop an argument).

freckle06 likes this.
  4. israhafeez

israhafeez New commenter

Last year AQA grade C was 50% for higher paper. So now that there is no H/F tiers I think maybe 45% will be grade C/4?

5. timfilbert

timfilbert New commenter

trogdor likes this.