1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCE Computing/ICT Enrolment 2015/16

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kathley, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kathley

kathley New commenter

Interesting how it was predicted that numbers in Computing/Computer Science would increase whilst ICT numbers went down. We have nearly finished enrolling students into a 6th form college and found that Computing/Computer Science number are slightly down but ICT has remained at the same level for the past 4 years. Interesting to hear about how other establishments have compared.

2. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

The rise of CS was inevitable in all fairness due to the hype, but the death of ICT was somewhat exaggerated. You will notice from that doc that ICT does not appear in the top 10 fallers for AS level which would indicate it is around static based on the numbers in there for other subjects. There's also still quite a chunk more students doing ICT. About another 5 years I think before we see parity. There's going to be plenty of room for both for a very long time yet.

4. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

At the present. ICT numvbers are really good. The variable that will kill or help ICT is the new spec first teaching 2017 . We all push every kid to do the present ICT because of the 60% coursework , when it is 20% will we be able to Accommodate the GCSE c/D border kids? This will cause numbers to drop and if it is too hard the kids won't take it either. Where I disagree with DJ is the room for both, with the governments funding of A levels , I'm guessing schools will start slashing courses that don't get results. No idea What will Happen then!

5. djphillips1408

The PDF in post 2 refers to A level, that's 40% coursework not 60%, I do not know what proportion of future A level spec will be coursework. Does anyone know out of interest?

6. gigaswitch1

Sorry dj you are right on the course work. Ofqual released a load of quals on the 16rh July for consultation,ICT was not one of them, it will be soon though. I was making a judgement based on the new CS spec and other subject specs. It's all speculation at the moment, but I do think it will get a lot harder and will be difficult for low attainers , which is a shame.

7. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

The pressure and impact from the new main school measure, the publicly reported KS4 progress 8 metric from next year will be interesting on knock-on numbers in KS5. I suspect data-focused Heads concerned about league tables (most of them) will be waking up in September and looking very hard at Computer Science in KS4 this coming year as it dawns on them how they will be measured using Progress 8, the implications of not promoting heavily Computer Science and also because it is an ebacc subject, another measure reported.

8. compoit

compoit New commenter

I understand from our PE department they will be on 30% practical and 70% theory in 2016, I can only hope ICT goes the same way.

9. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Of course with CS being an ebacc subject, there is going to be pressure put on us for having pupils who cant manage the maths being put into our CS classes to fill one of the pots in their Progress8 measure. Do you think the additions to the theory of the new curriculum will take up excessive teaching time, or allow us to go over all the theory in more detail to give these kids more of a chance?

10. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

I should know the answer to this, but as GCSE ICT is not accredited for first teaching Sept 2016 (but hopefully will be for 2017), what are others going to do with their GCSE options?

11. gigaswitch1

Ofqual released another batch of topics for consultation today: ICT is still not part of it. This consultation was 2 months after the last, so it is another wait to see what is going to happen in ICT. We have no idea what we are doing yet at A level or GCSE ICT. Our CS numbers are greater than ICT and we don't teach A-Level CS yet. We won't be able to do ICT and CS, so we need an idea of the ALevel ICT before we can make a decision.

12. gigaswitch1

Just a quick point: the consultation suggests that the new weighting for the CA in Electronics is 20% and Media Studies is 30%. ICT could be 20% or 30%. I'm still going to say 20%, but who knows!

13. compoit

compoit New commenter

Interesting that Media Studies has gone for 30% I hope that those in charge see ICT as a similar 'hands on approach' to MS and go for 30%. Does anyone know when we will be hearing something about the new 2017 specs?

14. djphillips1408

Hey you know how you kids say ICT is dying and computing is on the way up, Just looked at Cam Nats numbers of kids taking it last year. Guess what, over 60,000 and no I have not chucked an extra zero on the end. Never going to be parity in numbers at GCSE or A level

15. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Of course the numbers are high!! It's a *** easy way for schools to keep low ability students occupied. It's about as vocational as potty training. It's one of those courses not at all suitable for academic students in private or select schools (unless the teachers are lazy and want a nice easy time and the Head is too stupid to realise what is happening). Whether some Heads see it as a problem in the next year or two as it can only fit into one of the Progress 8 buckets remains to be seen.

16. djphillips1408

Bad trip back from Kazakhstan?