1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCE AQA Applied H&SC New specification

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by thistledoo, Jul 10, 2012.

1. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I didn't know until this week that I will be teaching the new specification for AS Applied H&SC. Our previous cohort went to another school as there were only four students. I was told that would be the norm... until recently when fifteen students signed up. I now find that I am teaching the new specification. Is there anyone who has the notes/ advice from any of the AQA H&SC meetings that were held this term about the changes to the specification and would be willing to share? Until I can attend one of the meetings myself in the Autumn? Or have many teachers taken the opportunity to 'abandon ship' and change exam boards? (Does anyone feel the problems with assessing HC03 (that some people had)will manifest themselves in this new portfolio HC01?)

2. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I didn't know until this week that I will be teaching the new specification for AS Applied H&SC. Our previous cohort went to another school as there were only four students. I was told that would be the norm... until recently when fifteen students signed up. I now find that I am teaching the new specification. Is there anyone who has the notes/ advice from any of the AQA H&SC meetings that were held this term about the changes to the specification and would be willing to share? Until I can attend one of the meetings myself in the Autumn? Or have many teachers taken the opportunity to 'abandon ship' and change exam boards? (Does anyone feel the problems with assessing HC03 (that some people had)will manifest themselves in this new portfolio HC01?)

3. blt

blt New commenter

I went to the launch meeting and the new unit one rtfolio is nothing to do with unit 3 so cannot see how it would prove problematic. It is effective care and communication - old units 1 and 2. If you look at the spec, some bits of unit 3 have been put into an a2 exam - but not a lot of it.

I'm sure if you contact aqa they will send you a copy of everything. They even had schemes of work in the packs on the day which they have said will be going on the website so you can tinker with them too.

I came away very happy about the changes. There are more sectors so more opportunities for candidates and they have provided clear guidance for assessment. I don't think it's fair to compare it to the old spec at all -especially not hsc01 and the old hc03 - they are completely different!