1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCE Applied ICT - Unit 9 netowrking exam

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by TonyKidbrooke, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hi
    I've read the pre-release materials and it seems to me for the 3rd or 4th scenario running that the students will need to explore a really specific area of networking. I know there are very few of you here that teach this unit and even fewer that sit the exam in January but I'm hoping for some input, confirmation and/or reassurance from anyone out there!
    It strikes me that the solution will revolve around implementing some kind of Waterproof RFID Technology. I cannot see RFID mentioned anywhere in the course specification so I am at a loss as to why this is being explored in the exam but I felt this way about the previous scenarios where VPNs, Wireless Mesh Networks and High Power Wireless transmitters and Antennae formed the main solutions for the last few exams.
    I teach from the spec but the main solution topic is nowhere to be seen on the spec so I am not sure why I bother teaching anything throughout the year other than to giving students a rounded starter in networking methodologies. I might as well wait for the scenario and try and guess what questions will be asked and just hope they come up - this isn't really teaching is it? It is just assessing how well a teacher can prepare students in a very specific area and/or guess what the questions might be.
    I've contacted Gareth at Edexcel in the past regarding my concerns and he says my points will be raised before the examiners in time for the summer exam.
    So if any of you have clever insights regarding a solution that you can share I will be very grateful.
    Tony

2. Blimey... so nobody is doing this unit anymore.
    I don't blame you!
    Tony

3. I think it is more likely that they will be using bracelets with a chip in them, that are read by sensors on remote access control points with EPOS terminals at the rides for non guests as well as in the cafe's
    The scenario suggests that <font face="MyriadPro-Regular">Janet wants the LAN to be made up of two copper cabled star networks, one in each half of the holiday park,

there may be a cost saving by using wireless connections at each terminal I am expecting questions to be set around this
    </font>