1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCC Supply Application

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by delta1234, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Hi. Applied for Supply and ASL Glasgow City Council. I have experience and great references, and was 'Unsuccessful' according to MJS. This happens, but within one day of application? I was a bit stunned. Maybe its because I'm too expensive. But to reject an application in one day seems strange.

Anyone else had this, and should I be suspicious, i.e., someone with a grudge or something?

Your opinion appreciated.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

First of all, commiserations.

GCC HR is not fit for purpose, levels of competency are non-existent and I'm sure many people on this forum have horror stories to tell.

Maybe they're looking to fill as many positions as possible with probationers or NQTs at a lower point on the payscale - although that should not apply.

I am sure you will find work with another council. Good luck.

3. Thank you. Intend to email McKenna. Already contacted my MSP and MP. Will post back how it goes.

4. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

Is it possible to get feedback regarding this decision? There is a shortage of supply within GCC, particularly in certain secondary subjects. GCC HR make many many many mistakes as bigj alluded to.

They have reacted to financial constraints by putting ever increasing pressure on teachers, routinely breaking temporary contracts to avoid having to provide permanency, applying absence monitoring procedures in a threatening way, reducing ASL provision without providing adequate support in mainstream,

Maybe another council WOULD be an idea, but I would ask for explanation first.

5. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I'm sorry to hear that. It does seem odd to have been rejected so quickly. Can you review your application for any clues for something warranting automatic rejection? I'm thinking of not ticking that you're PVG checked - that sort of thing.

I've heard of people asking for feedback on applications and being refused, except for a standard line about the number and quality of applications. It's usually only at interview stage that HTs are willing to give individual feedback.

6. Will do. Just very suspicious about this. I have never heard of anyone being rejected for any job within 24 hours. I have had dealings with certain folk in GCC Education before. Just getting paranoid and wondering if they have a blacklist or something.

Will investigate further.

Thanks all.

7. Aye - will look into it. It just seems older supply teachers with more experience are being pushed out. Will write an email to McKenna and see what she does. Probably nothing, but worth a try.

8. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Mary Arthur is head of education HR (or something along those lines). I'd email her, or maybe both.

9. Wee update. Turned out I had not selected the right box thing for eligibility to work in the UK. They did get back to me. My mistake. Doh! Just knackered from a year of slog. Will reapply.

Cheers folks.

10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Delta: d'oh!