1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gay teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by dr_cate, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am currently doing research into homophobia in Scottish schools. At the moment I am trying to gauge how common this is and would love to hear from any teachers (primary and secondary) who are gay and who would be able to tell me of their experiences in schools, both positive and negative. I am particularly interested in how other staff have treated you, have they been supportive? Have you felt able to be open about your sexuality, why/why not?
    I would be keen to hear from other teachers if they have any opinions or have ever witnessed or experienced anything which may relate to this. I am looking specifically at homophobia amongst staff, not pupil-to-pupil bullying.
    I would also like to know the protocol for employing homosexual teachers in Catholic schools, if anyone is able to help me with this? What is the general consensus on this?
    If anyone would prefer not to post on the forum, they can send me a private message.

Thanks
    Cate

2. Hi everyone,
    I am currently doing research into homophobia in Scottish schools. At the moment I am trying to gauge how common this is and would love to hear from any teachers (primary and secondary) who are gay and who would be able to tell me of their experiences in schools, both positive and negative. I am particularly interested in how other staff have treated you, have they been supportive? Have you felt able to be open about your sexuality, why/why not?
    I would be keen to hear from other teachers if they have any opinions or have ever witnessed or experienced anything which may relate to this. I am looking specifically at homophobia amongst staff, not pupil-to-pupil bullying.
    I would also like to know the protocol for employing homosexual teachers in Catholic schools, if anyone is able to help me with this? What is the general consensus on this?
    If anyone would prefer not to post on the forum, they can send me a private message.

Thanks
    Cate

3. Personal opinion - a teacher's sexuality is none of my (or the school's) business.
    I would hope that any teachers that come to the primary school where I work would feel comfortable enough to be themselves and speak freely about ANY partner they had.
    Mind you, in this neck of the woods, I could see why some may be reluctant :(

4. I know none of you are adft but I'd be very wary of revealing any personal details to a stranger on a forum. This could be anyone.

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

And there was me tryng to work the meaning of the acronym 'adft'. [​IMG]

7. I appreciate your concern airy but I am not asking for any personal details. I'm not looking for names or schools, just trying to get a general idea of how common this is in schools and what gay teachers in schools may or may not have to put up with.