1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gay Teacher Overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jaymiej, Aug 1, 2017.

1. jaymiej

jaymiej New commenter

I am an experience primary teacher with international experience in Spain and Netherlands. I am also a married lesbian. My wife and I enjoy traveling and I like international teaching obviously our options are limited as we don't wish to face death or prison when we move but I was wondering if anyone had experience of being a gay teacher outside of Europe - which places were safe and obviously any which seemed safe but were not! I know we will never be able to do Qatar or Dubai etc but I'm hopeful to spread our wings a little further!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

I think you will find that your choices are not that limited. I have worked with loads of gay people on 3 continents. There are plenty of countries in Asia where you wont have any issues at all, and i have gay friends all over the world. Your life is not as restricted as you were thinking, in my opinion. Just get out there and apply.

Helen-Back likes this.
  3. jaymiej

jaymiej New commenter

Which parts of Asia in particular? My concern would not be so great if I were single but as a woman married to a woman I wouldn't be able to 'hide' my status nor would my wife and my concern would be if our safety would be in jeopardy?

4. dumbbells66

I was in Laos, but know of gay couples in pretty much every other country, including indonesia. Just apply and be up front about it, if its an issue for the school they will soon let you know.

Good luck

5. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Something to consider is whether schools in different countries can obtain a visa for your wife, as this isn't possible in every country. If your wife is also a teacher and gets a visa that way then you're fine. If not then it may prove more difficult - not because schools aren't willing but because the rules of their country don't allow it.

From memory China was like this. I don't believe gay marriages could be recognised for visa purposes so the only gay couples we had were both teachers.

6. dumbbells66

I should say that most, if not all of the gay couples i know are employed as individual teachers and not as a "married couple".

7. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

As in they're both employed by the school? Rather than one half of the couple employed and the other there on a spouse visa? That would be consistent with what I've seen.

8. dumbbells66

Yes both employed.

9. jaymiej

jaymiej New commenter

My wife is a teaching assistant not a teacher will this affect our options?

10. dumbbells66

Sorry...lost connection. Was going on to say, that at least a few couples i know were only employed as individuals, and could not get the "married benefits" as a package. Not sure how usual that is

11. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Taiwan is closer to legalising same sex marriages...

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Taiwan top court ruled in favour of same sex marriage back in May. Right now the situation is this -

"The island’s parliament has two years to amend or enact laws addressing same-sex unions, otherwise gay couples will automatically be allowed to register under the current framework."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/24/taiwans-top-court-rules-in-favour-of-same-sex-marriage

I'm not sure how it will affect gay married couples wanting to work here but it's worth finding out. A fantastic place to live. One of my close friends here is married to a lovely Taiwanese lady. They got hitched in the UK a few years back but I'm assuming now their marriage will be recognized here too.

Taiwan is a very open and free society and one of the most liberal in Asia.

Teachallover likes this.
  13. lucid_dreamer

lucid_dreamer New commenter

Thailand is very accepting, especially of gay women. Gay couples are a common sight in cities and there are gay pop icons, etc. There's also a large and lively expat community in Bangkok, including plenty lesbian couples. The same issues apply with respect to government/visas as mentioned above but with a teacher/TA couple you may well get round that, and culturally at least you would feel quite comfortable, more so than in certain parts of Europe.

14. WOMANONAMISSION50

WOMANONAMISSION50 New commenter

I have had gay friends say they worry about the same backlash in some countries too, but you my try Mexico and as the respondent above says there maybe more options than you think...best of luck in your search.

15. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I dont think your options are so limited. I have save many gay people in the ME and many unmarried couples living together. People will leave you alone to live your life mostly

16. pinot

pinot New commenter

Living in Vietnam and as long as you are married (not civil partnered) then the government will recognise your marriage and grant your spouse a visa, she will also be a dependent. There are loads of us here and its just a normal part of life, I have had less issues (read none, a little curiosity maybe) here than I have had anywhere else.

17. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

If all the gay teachers in my last had left in one go the school would have collapsed.

Teachallover and dumbbells66 like this.