1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gay couple teaching overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lennoc, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Does she want to work at all? The obvious solution would be for her to find a job overseas and then for you to try and get a job in the same country. But this is only any good if she has some kind of job that will allow her to transfer overseas. Pity she's ruled out English teaching as in many places that will be her best bet.
    Otherwise, if she isn't planning to work, which means you are happy to support her, then pick a country where she can get relatively long entry without working. That way you get yourself a job with accommodation etc and she just comes to visit for a few months at a time. Cambodia would be the first place that springs to my mind. From what I've heard you can get a business visa there just for the asking.
    This second solution would actually work very well if you chose your country properly. Most teachers I know head off overseas pretty much every holiday so the two of you would be able to leave the country together each time you had a holiday and then she'd apply for a new visa on re-entry.
    And while I realise this must be a bit of a pain consider yourselves lucky. At least you have the whole EU open to you.

2. uncertain39

uncertain39 New commenter

Hi, Malaysia would be an option......I know of plenty of unmarried couples where the non-teaching spouse renews there holiday visa every three months, which can usually be coincided with holidays. With low cost air travel widely available this would not be prohibitively expensive.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I knew several gay couples while I worked in vietnam. But the non-teaching ones generally found the ease of earning money by teaching english irresistible. Middle east is a no-no.

4. Gays in Malaysia face impisonment!

5. Great thanks for the advice. Yeah a friend recommended Vietnam so that is an option.
    V