1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gavin is at it again with mocks

Discussion in 'Education news' started by moontitan, Oct 10, 2020.

1. moontitan

moontitan Occasional commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

Agree completely.

Some schools will be rubbing their hands with glee ...with their own version of mocks and their idea of ‘controlled conditions’ and marking. Let’s face it the Gvt couldn’t be bothered to get hold of mock papers last time and I doubt they will again. It’s a fiasco waiting to happen - and where are the lazy and now distant Unions in all of this?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    agathamorse and moontitan like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

How on earth could this work? "Using specimen papers produced by exam boards". Unless every school does the mock exams on the same day and at the same time, the papers will be posted on the web with unofficial mark schemes within hours of when they are first sat.

If there is concern about not being able to get through the syllabus by next May, how are schools meant to cover everything for rigorous mocks in December?

strawbs, agathamorse and moontitan like this.
  4. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Agreed. We have great difficulty in setting papers because by the time we get to paper 3, they've worked out which set we're using. Also, most of us do not mark like exam markers and (where I am at least) our marking is not moderated or back-marked.

littlejackhorner and agathamorse like this.
  5. moontitan

moontitan Occasional commenter

AS exams would of been some help, I remember some of them use to have a January sitting when the A Levels were modular. Students will learn the mark scheme and if they attain an A* in the mocks they would go into "isolation" instead of sitting the final summer exams. Sadly the honest students who tend to be hard working too will lose out in what would be another year of record breaking results.
    All of a sudden tories trust teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

I'm sure the exam boards will be happy to charge for their services.

7. install

install Star commenter

Agree. And guess who gets to see the questions beforehand and the mark-schemes in some dodgy schools ? It’s open to abuse.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

But a large number of the people who do the exam marking (myself included) are working as teachers. I can do exam marking in July because I don't have to plan or mark work for y11/13 who have left. I (and many others) would not be able to take on the same marking commitment in November (or whenever).

strawbs, gruoch and agathamorse like this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I don't disagree with what's been said above. But this summer was a mess. We need to find some way fairly to show what students can do .
    Sensible schools set mocks on what their learners have done up to the point of the exams.
    We do the profession a disservice by wailing about "other" (unnamed) schools who might be bending the rules.
    If we have some data about the actual achievement of the students rather than unsupported assertions then the exam board can have a hope of some moderation.

peter12171 and agathamorse like this.
  10. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

However, I am aware of exam boards who are already piloting charging for the marking of mocks. There are also many examiners who no longer teach in schools, retired, ex-teachers, etc

11. I couldn't agree more.

12. jusch

jusch New commenter

Our mocks are in November. Rooming is being sorted, copies are being printed, letters are being sent home NOW. If the DfE announces they now want "rigorous" mocks in January - do we do it all again? And effectively lose two months of teaching time on mocking them?

agathamorse likes this.