1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gatsby for AQA B

Discussion in 'English' started by BlueSky1, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    Owing to the annoying change of texts in AQA B A'level, we have decided to switch from the Curious Incident to Gatsby. I have a colleague who marks the spec and she tells me that centres don't tend to do so well with it - just formulaic answers about Nick being an unreliable narrator. I've just re-read the novel for the first time in ages and really enjoyed it. But, I'm struggling how to make it appeal to my less-than- literary Y12s. One of them told me - 'I got it out of the library, read four pages and it was boring. So I took it back'. Promising response to a set-text eh?
    Does anyone who has had success with it have any tips (even better, schemes to share) or pointers towards good teaching resources for the spec, please?
    I've already bought the Zig-Zag teaching pack - but it's not specific in terms of Aspects of Narrative.
    Thanks ;)

2. If you PM me your email address, I have a resource that you'll like.

3. Ooh thanks. PM sent!

4. Hi, Can I jump on the bandwagon too.
    PM sent.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

It's got big words and complex sentences and long paragraphs, so of course it's boring. Tsk!