1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gathering information

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by radiowaves, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I recently attended the last day of a programme organised by the EDT for Y12 students.
    http://www.etrust.org.uk/
    As part of the day the students were given feedback forms which I assumed to be about the programme. However, one of the points of feedback asked the students to rate their teacher. I feel that I am "rated" enough in the workplace without educational charities gathering such information.
    So, to the questions: is gathering information of this sort, legal, ethical or necessary? Should I be contacting them to ask what it is being used for?
    The programme in question requires me to give up significant amounts of my time and I did find the idea of being "rated" rather distateful in this context.
    Radiowaves

2. I recently attended the last day of a programme organised by the EDT for Y12 students.
    http://www.etrust.org.uk/
    As part of the day the students were given feedback forms which I assumed to be about the programme. However, one of the points of feedback asked the students to rate their teacher. I feel that I am "rated" enough in the workplace without educational charities gathering such information.
    So, to the questions: is gathering information of this sort, legal, ethical or necessary? Should I be contacting them to ask what it is being used for?
    The programme in question requires me to give up significant amounts of my time and I did find the idea of being "rated" rather distateful in this context.
    Radiowaves

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Did they definitely mean you rather than the person leading the programme? I can imagine such a question being a bit ambiguous.

4. Teachers have long recognised that the only people who should be assessing their professional capabilities are other teachers who have been trained / who hold middle/senior management positions. Asking students to make judgements about teachers is an absolute no-no. I suggest bring this to the attention of your regional union office and ask them to do the necessary.

5. I queried it with the organisation that asked the question. They agreed that the question was inappropriate and unnecessary - and agreed to remove it from all future feedback forms. Result!