1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gases all around us

Discussion in 'Primary' started by buzzby, Jun 19, 2011.

1. hi all
    I am just looking at the Y5 Gases all around us unit which I am teaching discretely this term for the firsty term and was wondering of anyone has an investigation that they do when teaching this to the children. I want somethng that is going to excite the children as this isn't the most exciting unit.

TIA

2. hi all
    I am just looking at the Y5 Gases all around us unit which I am teaching discretely this term for the firsty term and was wondering of anyone has an investigation that they do when teaching this to the children. I want somethng that is going to excite the children as this isn't the most exciting unit.

TIA

3. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Agreed, it's an awful unit which is why it gets left until now I suspect! I've done an investigation in the past where you spray a squirt of perfume (with all due consideration to H&S of course [​IMG]), then the kids have to see who can smell it first, next and so on. Not thrilling I know but the best I can do with this topic which to be honest my jobshare and I haven't done for the last 2 yrs as the Changing State one seems to run over so I'm now on Life Cycles instead!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

And there was me thinking the OP was referring to Milgod.

6. I've done 2 teacher led experiments where you can 1. show the need for oxygen for a candle to burn 2. show the use of carbon dioxide as a fire extinguisher. The second one always raises a "wow" Let me know if you want details.