1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gas cooker or electric, which is best value?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Apr 8, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

One of the dials on my gas cooker broke, leaving the gas on as I walked away - fortunately heard it so could rush back and use a spanner to turn it off.

So time to get a new cooker and to be honest, this reminded me how dangerous gas can be at times so yes, an electric cooker/oven comes to mind.

Are modern electric cookers/ovens as cheap as gas or at least competitive when it comes to the energy bill?

Any recommendations?

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I would expect gas to be cheaper, but i expect that we are going to be weaned off gas, possibly by price hikes. i would tend to opt for electric. If no cooker swith you will need one fitted, which will be an additional cost especially if no spare fuse in consumer unit.

dumpty likes this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Domestic = Electric.

dumpty likes this.
  4. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Our place is all electric so we have no choice
    However gas will be phased out by 2050

dumpty likes this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Good point as I presume I will need a Corgi registered engineer to disconnect the gas cooker too - not cheap.

6. Jude Fawley

It's a shame because gas is far more controllable, but there's probably some fancy new electric hobs that can do that.

Electricity behaves better than gas in a domestic setting.

Lara mfl 05 and dumpty like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

You need to get beyond the meter. You can leave all the pipes in place, but get that meter out and the supply from outside mains capped.

Get the meter removed first and then you can do what you want with the cooker.

dumpty likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

An electric induction hob is as fast and controllable as gas, and never needs more than a quick wipe to keep clean. A pyrolytic (i.e. self-cleaning) electric oven will also save you hours of cleaning. I would never go back to gas - far too much cleaning required.

border_walker, Lidnod and dumpty like this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I love my induction hob. It's more controllable even than gas, without the annoying business of not letting the flame go up the side. It's really easy to clean, very efficient and very powerful. We bought nearly the most expensive cooker there is with an induction hob. The oven has all the normal jiggery pokery you'd expect. The induction hob is more controllable than most. We got a fabulous deal on it from John Lewis and it ended up costing a lot less than many inferior cookers.

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Gas hob, electric oven for me.

Re: 2050 - does that apply to gas boilers too? Can't see how they'll replace all those (every house I've ever lived in has had one!)

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

AIUI to meet the UK's 'grand plan' strategic objectives for reducing carbon emissions to whatever it is they want to reduce them by whenever it is they want to achieve it all domestic gas central heating and cooking will have to be phased out and the domestic gas supply cut off.

At the moment about 85% of UK houses have gas central heating (and 50% gas hobs) but there seems to be no real plan for how all that GCH is going to be replaced. (Gas cooking hob replacement would be easier of course).

I use gas hob + electric oven too. I've used an induction hob but it didn't excite me as much as it does for some posters. I put a new gas hob in last year. I'm not worried about it becoming obsolete in 2050 - that's 30 years away! I doubt I'll still be here to worry about it by then.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Morninglover likes this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Yep,that's what I want to chew over more. Gas ovens take a long time to get heated and cook food, so maybe the modern electric ones are cheaper to run, too.

Yep, have a gas boiler and central heating too here. Great for the shower but the central heating is very expensive to run (but OK, the house does have old windows and that).

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If your house isn't isn't double glazed and well insulated presumably any type of heating will be expensive to run?

border_walker likes this.
  14. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We have a gas hob with electric oven. We also have gas central under floor heating installed in our new build. I don't see how they can stop supplying gas to those who already have it. I thought the ruling was that no gas boilers could be installed in new houses or those who don't already have one. If they were to remove gas altogether they would have a hard job meeting the electrical needs of all the homes, cars etc.

15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Certainly an area I need to look at although to my surprise I do have insulation in the loft and the foam in the walls, hence why I suspect the windows.

They are double glazed but very thin gaps between.

From what I can tell, underfloor heating is the bees knees as yes, if your feet are warm the rest of you feels so. (Not sure if it is cost effective though)

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have a range type thing with gas hob and electric ovens.
    When we replace it, we'll buy the one with a flat glass electric hob, the gas is sooooo hard to keep clean.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've always had a gas hob from a child, apart from two years when we bought our first house and my grandmother gave us her old Baby Belling. I hated it. I hated having to hover over it trying to guess how far in advance of it boiling over I'd have to turn the ring down. They can wrench my gas hob from my cold dead hands.

18. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Could you just fix the Kn ob on the gas cooker. Is it repairable by gluing or going on eBay and buy another kn ob like it?

Bedlam3 likes this.
  19. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We have double electric oven (one fan) which I like very much, and gas hob. I always thought a gas hob was best, but when I replace it …. probably when we move house! …. I'd go for one of the new glass electric hobs. They look really smart, seem to be as controllable as gas - and they've got to be easier to clean!

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Induction hobs are as controllable as gas and with the surface being glass and not getting that hot due to transference to the pan that does the actual heating nothing really gets burnt on them, a quick wipe is the most you ever need. Gas hobs have all sorts of odd shapes, nooks and crannies and take much longer to clean.