1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gardens in rental properties.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oggiehurler, Aug 1, 2012.

1. oggiehurler

oggiehurler New commenter

Can you help? I have moved into a rented property. I haven't rented for 30 years so I am very rusty on the rules and stuff. What are the general guidelines for the garden? There is a small conifer that was obviously dying because it hadn't been planted deep enough - I have dug it up and diposed of it. There were some small bushes in the middle of the patio. I have dug them up and moved them to a different position in the garden. In my opinion this looks better and doubles the size of the patio. But now I realise I should probably have asked for permission before I did these things. So that led me to the question of what the general "rules" are with regard the garden in a rental property. Anyone willing to share - from a tenants or a lanlords point of view. I can always put the bushes back in their original position but the conifer can't be rescued.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In theory you should ask permission to change anything in the garden and do nothing other than general maintenance. In practice - you should see what my tenants had done to the garden when we took the house back again...Mind, I do like the stepping stones they put in.

3. oggiehurler

Thank you - and oops!

4. oggiehurler

Thanks and oops!

5. We tend to do little things without checking but for established plants like shrubs and trees we let them know - for example, the dead tree should have been the landlords responsibility to remove!
    Our landlords live in the same village (they own most of it) but we deal with their land agent and he now just tells us who their preferred tradesman is and to organise it all ourelves.
    Just let them know what you have done, send them piccies and promise to let them know first next time! They may like what you have done and let you get on with it too!

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What does your contract say?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was speaking to someone who lets out a couple properties. He was bemoaning the fact that the tenants in one of them had not been maintaining the garden as per their tenancy agreement. However, when I asked he said that he hadn't provided a lawnmower or any other gardening tools. Frankly, if I were his tenant I wouldn't be doing the garden either as I wouldn't be buying gardening tools unless I knew I'd have a garden in the future.

8. lilachardy

Is it then also the owner's responsibility to provide the tennant with a vacuum cleaner?

9. </font>
    Read you contract.
    This is what it says on the tenancy agreement of a property we rent:

3.16 To keep the
    gardens neat and tidy at all times and not remove any trees or plants. To mow
    the lawns at least every 14 days during the growing season and keep borders
    free from weeds.

As a landlord I
    worked really hard to get the garden looking neat and tidy, between tenants I
    ensure it isn't getting overgrown. I provide a lawnmower, a garden brush and a
    rake and they have a garden wheelie bin provided in our area. If at the end of
    the tenancy the garden is looking awful I will keep back some of the deposit
    and pay a gardener to get it back to how it was when the tenancy started.

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>

10. Sorry about the format of my previous post, not sure what happened there!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I could reasonably expect to need a vacuum cleaner in the future.
    To be fair, I love gardening and would almost certainly maintain a garden at least to the standard it was left. However, in rented property I'd expect basic tools at least.

12. lilachardy

Blimey!

13. An unfurnished property needs to have white goods, a cooker and fridge, (if you're lucky a washing machine) and window coverings.
    I only provide the lawnmower, rake and garden brush so that they don't have an excuse! If the tenants don't want to keep the garden tidy that's fine, but I'll deduct the money at the end! If they're not happy then don't sign the contract, it clearly states their responsibilites and it's their choice to take up the property. I think that's fair enough. [​IMG]

14. lilachardy

I've never rented an unfurnished property with a fridge and washing machine. Neither have I ever had any gardening equipment.
    <h1>There's always the clause to keep the garden as it is!</h1>

15. You've never rented from me!

16. The last house I rented (shared), when we moved in the garden was neck high in weeds and the trees had overgrown so much that hardly any sun got to it. There were no gardening tools. When summer came (you can tell i'm not talking about this year!) we asked the landlord if he was planning to do anything with it and he said yes, when you leave. I'll tidy it up before the new tenants arrive. There was nothing in our tenancy agreement about us keeping up to the gardening or him keeping it fit to use.

17. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I provide the washing machine, the fridge freezer and oven......I also have left some hedge trimmers and a set of gloves as well as some secateurs (?) at the property that I rent out. No lawn so no lawn mower...
    Many years ago I rented somewhere that had nothing at all, apart from an old lawn mower, no washing machine or fridge freezer....
    MF x

18. Unfurnished are supposed to come with white good - cooker and fridge, I think? Our landlord's agent couldn't find a fridge that fit the gap (to be fair he had been given the wrong measurements by their idiot maintenance bloke) and the cooker was cleaned by a moron who left it and all of the cupboards and work surfaces covered in a thin film of ajax. I scubbed for a fortnight and we still got covered in the stuff. Oddly the same moron left the old lino absolutely sparkling and we have no idea how they did it!
    We bought both fridge and cooker and replaced the worksurfaces and doors at our own expense - well, we have no intention of moving for a long while (8 years and counting) and they had no intention or obligation to do anything about it!
    But we were given no garden tools at all. I think I would have been surprised if they had!
    If I ever buy a rental (I am looking) I probably would leave some basics and make it clear that I expected them to be used.

19. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

No, unfurnished can be a completely empty house/flat. Landlords have more rights if the property is part furnished, even if it is only white goods left in. When we rented our house out we took all the electrical things out because of the &pound;17.00 PAT fee per item every year. I wasn't going to pay &pound;17.00 to have a kettle or toaster tested when we could buy a new one for that. The only things I left in were carpets and curtains. Over the years various tenants have left things in, such as a wardrobe, chest of drawers and an enormous trampoline in the garden.
    One of our tenants turfed over a rose garden at the front of our house, initially I was a bit miffed but have to say the small lawn looks nice.

20. Another option as a landlord would be to include garden maintenance in the rent and either do it yourself or pay someone to do it according to your instructions.