1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gardening with Daddy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daddyorchips, Dec 22, 2004.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I need to go out and prune my apples and pear but it's too cold. I've read up about it and have discovered I'm going for a goblet shape. My father used to say you should be able to throw a cricket ball straight up through the branches.

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

He can't be banned if his username is still visible. he would have joined the ranks of the disappeared.

TES Stasi: not responsible for Cyolba's departure, either

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting... use to love gardening with my Dad...

Will give this a look over later.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Not necessarily true
    Try clicking on the avatar/user-name

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Occasional commenter

Coal soot from the chimney works even better, Get the chimney sweep to leave the soot behind and sprinkle libberal, also good for putting around your celery

6. silkywave

silkywave Established commenter

I am not so sure about coffee grouts? At least its organic ?
    Anyone bought a nice plant for themselves for Christmas?

7. silkywave

Coffee grouts to keep the slugs from eating plants. They are still doing a good job munching through the coneflowers.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent deals with greenery here.

silkywave likes this.
  9. silkywave

Anyone getting a click and grow smart garden? It is for growing in doors and has a grow light.

10. silkywave

I’m quite happy with a poinsetta for £1.50 from morrisons although I’ll still have difficulty dealing with it after Christmas. I can’t let plants die.

11. silkywave

But maybe poinsettas are “just for Christmas”

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There was a women on Beechgrove Garden who had been given one and it had survived and grown for about ten years. She was in Orkney and the low light in winter seems to really suit it.

13. silkywave

I will investigate @Flere-Imsaho how I do this ? Firstly I will have to make sure the leaves don’t drop off if it gets too hot or cold !

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Someone gave me a poinsettia last Christmas and I only threw it out last week because the leaves were getting a bit sparse and refused to turn red. Someone else had already given me a new one.

silkywave likes this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Poinsettias need the shorter days or to be kept in the dark for some hours per day in order to go red. I usually put mine in the conservatory after Christmas then move to the greenhouse in early spring. I prune it then, but don't really water it, as it pretty dormant then. Once the weather warms, I'll start watering and new leaves should appear. They don't always survive, but mine is on its third year now.

InkyP and silkywave like this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't know. I think you might have to move to Orkney!

17. silkywave

It’s a reason to move to Orkney @Flere-Imsaho ! I have this image of Orkney covered in poinsettias? Ummmmm? Maybe not. I had, had to buy a Christmas cactus today. I hope I don’t watch all the buds fall off!

18. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Christmas cacti need samey conditions so no draughts, watering at similar time of day and no dramatic changes if temperature. Like the pointsettia, they also need a lot of darkness for the buds to set.
    Mum had a Christmas cactus for years and we all had cuttings, sadly they did all die and i've never replaced them. Think I should.

19. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Since TES has told me that this is one of the most popular threads of all time, I feel that I should up it!:D:D:D:D

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was thinking about this thread earlier when I went in the garden and found my aubretia starting to flower and leaves growing on the clematis.