1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gardening with Daddy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daddyorchips, Dec 22, 2004.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

tomorrow I am going to pull up my toms and start to prep the trays for winter pansies

cut back the rhubarb and move the pot way form the house to it gets natural rain over the winter.

I SO need a garden asap!

2. Yesterday I pulled up the sunflowers my son grows at the end of the garden. (He has been doing this since he was a child...he brings them on from seed, like it's his job to put sunflowers in the garden every year. [​IMG])
    This lot surprised me...there must have been two varieties. One lot had MASSIVE heads and died back about two weeks ago, the other lot seemed smaller...but produced three blooms per stalk. Had to wait for them to finish flowering before I could cut them down. The birds have been pecking away at the seeds. Most of them had gone.
    Tomorrow afternoon I intend to do some tidying up in the borders and the cutting back of a few leggy perennials.

3. I am growing broad beans, early sprouting brocolli and leeks. Will put the shallots in in December. The rest of the veg patch will be covered with a mulch of manure and garden compost over winter.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've got an indoor-grown Scotch Bonnet chilli plant still putting out new growth, and having been greenfly-free all summer, the little b*ggers are now all over it in December.

Don't they know it's winter?!

Any tips for disposing of them without tainting the chillies?

5. Two ways magic. Either spray them with a very weak solution of washing up liquid (but make sure that you hit the little beggars directly) or simply rub them out. Wear gloves if you're squeamish.
    Easy peasy.

6. impis

impis New commenter

I agree with Cosmos. Great advice.

7. The window boxes are just starting to bloom - crocuses, narcissi, and hyacinths, with ivy and heather...
    but some bast ard stole the potted plant from my front door! I noticed it last week, but it must've been missing for a couple of days before I realised. I hope the thieves get a hernia. or herpes. I have a pretty good idea of who did it, and if I catch the little *** in the act next time, I shall call the police and he can go back to prison, the unimaginative little scrote, stealing from his own neighbours.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've got miniature daffodils in bloom and lots of green leaves sprouting. The lovage plant in a pot that was waterlogged and then frozen solid has started to grow again. Miracles of spring!

9. impis

impis New commenter

I'm wishing for cool dull weather all holiday. The school greenhouse is FULL to bursting with plug plants and seedlings - and the school is shut and I'm away for the whole of the holiday.

10. I have greenhouse full of seedlings that are either freezing or roasting hot! So if they are small plants Impis they may be coping ok. Not had success with petunias and nicotiana seeds. Made the mistake of covering them with vermiculite.
    I have had a parrafin heater in there when we had a frost this week. Do you know if the fumes would affect my cat as she likes to sit in the propagator ! Also cat has had the flea drops treatment this week as I am home to care for her! Can I put a flea bomb in the greenhouse to kill any in there. Will it affect the seedlings. Hoping it might get rid of any other bugs in there? Will obviously keep cat away until its ventilated. I was just waiting for some sun so plants don't freeze while I air it.
    Did anyone listen to Radio 4 "You and Yours" yesterday. They mentioned a project for everyone, children especially, to grow sunflowers and when the flowers go over to count the whorls of seeds on each head as part of a maths experiment nationally (fibonacci - spelling ? golden rule ). One year our school gardener sowed a whole block of sunflowers which looked lovely in the school holidays !

11. Unless your paraffin heater is faulty there shouldn't be any fumes!

12. Suggestion for plants for a new border facing north but mostly in the sun. One end is a bog garden from the pond run off. It only has astilbe at the moment. I'm especially looking for blue and white flowers.

13. Astrantia major; Geranium (hardy); Dicentra spectabilis 'Alba'; Digitalis purpurea albiflora; Rodgersia aesculifolia; Tiarella cordifolia; Polygonatum x hybridum (Solomon's seal); Pulmonarias; White flowered Hostas;
    Gone blank.......will have a think and see if I can come up with more Maddy.

14. Filipendula; Iris sibirica; Primula japonica;.......

15. Thanks Cosmos. I am going to get some more iris sibirica. I need to buy some more primula as I don't know where the others went ...slugs I supose?
    Just turned one of my compost bins out and the robin is stuffing worms in as fast as he can!

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I cheated and bought pots of nearly-ready bulbs this spring. Morrisons had lots of cheap pots of iris. hyacinth, tulips and daffs. Also got primulas, saxifrage and one of those low carpetty blue flowering things.
    My husband went to work in the morning through a dull, green garden and came home in the evening through a brightly colourful one.

17. Tesco were selling off pots of tete a tete earlier this week at just 10p a pot. Really cheered up a few spots I'd missed on my autumn planting spree.

18. At last summer bedding is beginning to grow. Any ideas for tubs? I end up planting the same old things, petunias, geraniums and fuschias.

19. Cosmos? [​IMG]
    My seeds are doing well maddy....if the hailstorm we had earlier hasn't flattened them!

Note to all those who grow lillies. Lily beetles are out and about in force at the moment and will destroy your lillies unless picked off and squashed.

20. And they are still going!