1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gardening with Daddy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daddyorchips, Dec 22, 2004.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'm quite cross as the weather forecast was supposedly good for today in these parts: I was planning to cut the grass and continue my planning, clearing and planting in the area freed by the dead acacia. The sky is now a leaden grey...

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I put this on the allotment thread as well because I think it's so strange - I've got a daffodil about to bloom in my garden.

3. That is not normal! Daffs in june - whatever next?

4. My winter pansies are still flowering away from Autumn. But not daffs!
    Have been harvesting raspberries, beetroot, new pots and broad beans. Got stung on my hand when I grabbed the broad beans. The wasps were buzzing around the black fly on the tops. OOOowwww!
    Also have loads of sweet peas every day. Have a big bunch in the loo ...seems appropriate really.

5. A quick tip for broad bead growers - grow nasturtiums alongside them. Blackfly will target the flowers in preference to the beans. Also, nip the soft tops off the beans, thus depriving the little b*ggers of a food source.

6. My nasturtiums are usually self sown on my veg bed but not this year. Perhaps the frost got the seeds?

7. I suspect it might be that they were eaten by hungry creatures lamaddalena. Such large seeds would be a life saver for small rodents during a difficult winter.

8. Ah just noticed one nasturtium plant and its flowering ! But lots of black fly now -- smothered.
    Went to get some more slug pellets as the wet weather is bringing them out. I couldn't get any that were safe for birds, cats and children (not listed in order of priority !) except for a liquid which I can't be bothered to water in everywhere. Last time I bought some that was safe for all, the box contained lots of little bits of chipped tiles. Needless to say they didn't go far. I can just hear the slugs munching on my cosmos (double pink and very pretty)

9. Growing Success - advanced slug killer and slugstoppa are two that are approved for use by organic orgnisations and safe to use (except for slugs). Otherwise try crushed eggshells, but you'll need a lot of them or the coffeegrounds.
    cosmos (double pink and very pretty)
    Why thank you, but less of the double if you don't mind [​IMG] - my favourite flower hence my user name.

10. Och well I'll just have to make another trip to a garden centre/nursery/diy garden section tomorrow. [​IMG]

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've got a photo of it next to my mange tout peas ready to pick but I can't figure out how to insert the picture.

12. impis

impis New commenter

You have to upload it to a picture hosting site, such as photobox or photobucket. Once it's there, you can copy it's online url [or link] and post it here. You might even be able to copy and paste it in, if you're lucky. [​IMG]

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Tried that but it didn't work.

14. impis

impis New commenter

I have inboxed you. Please check your messages.

15. This year, my tomatoes are romping away, thanks to Mum insisting I cut the grow bags in half and use each half as an improvised pot for one plant, rather than laying them flat and having three per bag. I've seen this advised before, but never did it - I will use this technique from now on! The greenhouse looks like the day of the triffids!
    I have loads and loads of butterfly plant - I forget the real name - but the ones in my profile pic. Not sure what to do with them all! Maybe I will try getting rid of them at school in september.

16. impis

impis New commenter

Your profile plant appears to be an oxalis. I've never heard it called a 'butterfly plant' before.

17. When I got my first one *sobs - it was much longer than a decade ago - I am getting old* my friend called it a butterfly plant because at night, the leaves fold up and look like butterfly wings. I am rubbish at remembering names of plants.
    I currrently have around 40 in pots on windowsills after separating some old ones. I'll need the space to overwinter other things in the autumn, but everyone I know has lots of butterfly plants!

18. I have just been given a passionflower cutting. I put some in last yeat but they all died - I put them against a wall which in hindsight might have been too dry a spot. The internet assures me they are easy to grow, but I really don't want to lost another one! I have pots and a growbag I could put it in to start with and three walls it could go against. Would appreciate any help please!

19. I've never grown one, but my friend has one in a pot growing up a very sunny south facing wall. She waters it daily, but it is in a pot - the garden is a paved courtyard so she can't plant it out

I found this website:
    http://www.passionflow.co.uk/
    which says
    Cuttings
    Note that some Passiflora cuttings will root very easily & others will rot very easily. Some cuttings will even take just in water without heat or rooting powder or gel. If
    you lose them you have not necessarily done anything wrong. Some are
    reluctant either to root or to grow once rooted. For example, P.
    racemosa will root but not grow unless the growing tip is left on the
    cutting. Everyone has their own technique & thanks to Jane Lindsay
    of UK Collection, Charlie Pridham of Roseland House UK
    and Ian Webb (PSI member) for their advice in helping me acquire mine.
    The best times to take cuttings for most species are in the spring or
    autumn. The phases of the moon are also thought by some to be important.
    In order they are Waxing from New Moon through First Quarter to Full
    Moon, & Waning from Full Moon through Last Quarter to New Moon.
    Cuttings are thought to do better when taken when the moon is Waning,
    particularly in the Last Quarter.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Any tips for keeping greenfly off indoor-grown chillies that doesn't involve poisoning the crop or stalking the little b*ggers around the plants and splatting them one by one?