1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gardening question from hopeless beginner.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Aug 25, 2011.

1. I have a south facing bed thingy outside my back door. It is about 2m in length and filled with compost. I have had a few attempts at things,beans ,herbs,flowers. Now its a mess .

What to do? Dig for victory type things or plant a vine and produce Château Egg?

2. I have a south facing bed thingy outside my back door. It is about 2m in length and filled with compost. I have had a few attempts at things,beans ,herbs,flowers. Now its a mess .

What to do? Dig for victory type things or plant a vine and produce Château Egg?

3. How about something that is expensive to buy in the shops, such as asparagus or globe artichokes. Or if you like fruit, an espalier trained apple or maybe a nectarine. Do you know if the soil goes all the way down or is it just some compost over concrete? Alternatively, go for something 'cut and come again' such as lambs lettuce or perpetual spinach.

4. I would be tempted to turn it into a permanent herb garden. Some are perennials, others you need to sow/plant each year. Firstly though, I would be concentrating on improving the soil. If it is filled with bought compost there will be no nutrients left in it now - you can incorporate organic matter such as home made compost and then leave it over the winter for the worms to do their stuff and then plant in the spring

5. It is on a concrete base so goes down about half a metre. So I would make it nice and healthy and lovely for next spring and just leave it grotty for now?

Maybe I'll put some plastic flowers in.

6. Right, in that case I wouldn't plant anything permanent - there isn't enough room for the roots. You can still improve the 'soil' or just dig it all out and replace with fresh compost in the spring. Concentrate on annual flowers or vegetables - tomatoes, salads, peas, beans etc.
    No need to leave it looking grotty - pull out all the dead vegetation and start a compost bin! Waste nothing in the garden.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'd get some bulbs in but it's not time for them yet.
    Before then...dig in some top soil and some manure along with more compost.
    Is the bed against the wall? Could you put in a climber or two? A clematis and a honeysuckle perhaps - they're not too fussy about where they grow in my experience.
    It's a good time to take a wander round the garden centre to see what's on offer - I usually buy a few battered perennial plants towards the end of summer and see if I can get them going again.

8. I would go with the herb garden idea.

9. mm many good ideas. We will have a vote off soon. Herbs v climbers v bulbs v weird exploratory Art space. I name this installation ........

10. Why don't you use half the plot to grow potatoes and fence of the other half to raise chickens...then you could have an all year supply of........ :¬))

11. Well we talk plenty of......... Is that any use?

12. Clear it or dig it in. Plant shallots and winter pansies later on when they are in the shops.Collect herbs and put them in at your leisure.