1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gardening Equipment

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by chocolatesprinkles, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I will be moving to a Foundation Stage class in September, and would like your advice. We have just 'won' a grant for £500 to be spent on gardening equipment. I've had a look through some Early Years catalogues and have seen a few items that look great, but just wondered if anyone on here had any interesting ideas (also websites/catalogues that you find useful)
    The outdoor area is quite small and the children all have SEN.
    Ideas I had in mind -
    waterproof rompers (thought this may be pushing the gardening theme a little, but nevertheless would be very handy!)
    planters and seeds, potatoes etc
    watering cans, spades, rakes,
    minibeast homes/bird feeders
    Thanks in advance for you help and ideas.
    A very excited though somewhat scared teacher!

2. Hello everyone,
    I will be moving to a Foundation Stage class in September, and would like your advice. We have just 'won' a grant for £500 to be spent on gardening equipment. I've had a look through some Early Years catalogues and have seen a few items that look great, but just wondered if anyone on here had any interesting ideas (also websites/catalogues that you find useful)
    The outdoor area is quite small and the children all have SEN.
    Ideas I had in mind -
    waterproof rompers (thought this may be pushing the gardening theme a little, but nevertheless would be very handy!)
    planters and seeds, potatoes etc
    watering cans, spades, rakes,
    minibeast homes/bird feeders
    Thanks in advance for you help and ideas.
    A very excited though somewhat scared teacher!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Msz

5. Hi Msz,
    Thanks for the links to the website. Just wondered if you've used this company before? If you have, were the resources well-made, worth the money, etc?
    It can be so depressing when items arrive and they aren't anything like what the photo suggests.
    Thanks in advance : )
    PS - Any other tips/advice from gardening/outdoor area experts?!

6. Msz

Yes we have used them a number of times in the past and have been happy with the quality. I have to say we didn't buy gardening tools (we put them on our wish list as we also had a grant and the tools were vetoed not sure why)

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Don't forget the free stuff you can get eg from th potatoe council each year you can get free seed potatoes...I bought some potato bags for the children thathave velcro flaps ,so they can see the potatoes growing...sometimes shopping around in pound shops and looking in garden centres can be cheaper than the catalogues.....your LEA may provide free compost bins etc ..

8. Thanks fulloffun,
    I was thinking I might take a trip to the pound shop / garden centres, but I'm not sure yet whether we can spend the grant like that, or whether it has to be spent in one 'go' in a catalogue. The prices in the catalogues can be extortionate though, can't they?
    Thanks for your advice especially about the potatoes : )
    Another question - Do any schools have the waterproof rompers or jackets and trousers? Have you found these to be useful? What about wellies etc? I would really like to get the class outdoors lots next year (we also have some beautiful grounds) and I thought these could be useful (and at a push...I may be able to buy them from this grant!)
    Thank you.

9. Msz

We bought 60 pairs of wellingtons for £1 a pair on the internet a few years ago. We also have waterproof dungarees but would have to check where were bought them.

10. Msz,
    Wow! £1 a pair sounds fantastic, I'll have a search online to see if I come up with anything. If you wouldn't mind finding out where the dungarees came from that would be really helpful. I'd rather buy with a recommendation than buying blind.
    Thanks so much, I'm getting rather excited!

11. Msz,
    Just wanted you to know that I took your advice and I am patiently awaiting the arrival of both items that you suggested!
    Fulloffun,
    Thanks for your help too, my TA is currently looking into any freebies we might be entitled to!
    x x

12. butties

butties New commenter

Don't forget long handled brushed for clearing up, very popular with my pre-school children.

13. butties

butties New commenter

Doh! Brushes of course!!!!!