1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Gardening and poisonous plants

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Fleur ;-), Jul 1, 2011.

  1. Hi all,
    I love gardening and have a lot of flowers in the garden. I know some of these, like foxgloves, are poisonous. I was not intending to dig them all up, as LO is only out in the garden with me right there beside him, he's never unsupervised out there (or anywhere really) so i know he wouldn't be able to eat them. To be honest, i don't want him to eat any plants! We just play on the grass. My father in law is shocked by this (not moving the plants) and thinks it is irresponsible, which has led me to doubt myself. Do you think most people get rid of poisonous plants? Am i irresponsible?! I'd really like to know what you think, thanks x
     
  2. If you are right there then why would you need to move the plants? That would seem silly to me. I have no poisonoue plants, but then we have a yard rather than a garden. You are not in the slightest irresponsible. You are planning to teach your child not to eat plants, which imo is much more responsible than just moving plants out of the way.
     
  3. hhhh

    hhhh Lead commenter

    Did fil do the childcare for his kids? In real life, they get in dangerous situations, you can't always have things 'perfectly safe'. They do have to learn and have to say mine's never eaten plants...on the plus side, at least you know while fil's babysitting he will be taking great care lol
     
  4. bundalph

    bundalph New commenter

    I have also been thinking about this issue. We have two really thorny roses and some other plants which I think are poisonous. One actually belongs to the neighbour and it just grows into mine so I couldn't cut that one down anyway. I am undecided. I don't want LO to hurt herself or eat plants, but when she gets old enough to toddle, maybe I should...hmmm...
     
  5. lucchese

    lucchese New commenter

    You are right in not getting rid of them, they have to learn and you are making them more responsible. I think it is totally unrealistic to remove everything unsafe from your household anyway, how on earth would you live, and when you go to other places they wouldn't be prepared. My LO touches everything in the garden and I have to supervise him constantly but he is gradually getting more aware of dangers through constant repetition (and experience). It's the only way.
     

Share This Page