1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Gardening' Advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I don't have a garden but am planning to start up two hanging baskets. One with herbs in. One with tumbling tomatoes and strawberries in. It'll be my mini garden. My question is, can I use plant food for both of these or should I get more specific stuff for tomatoes/strawberries/herbs?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Toms require a high potash content once fruit sets....so use a tomato fetilizer for them....however a general fetriliser wont go amiss.....

3. Thanks oldsome. So should I use plant food AND tomato feed? And can I plant the strawberries and tomatoes in the same basket or not?

4. Strawberries and tomatoes will both benefit from tomato food but the biggest problem will be keeping them watered. Use those gel things to retain water and really soak the basket at regular intervals. Herbs won't do well on tomato food as it will make them want to flower and you really want lots of leaf growth. Many herbs don't actually need feeding, especially if you are putting them into compost anyway. Watch what you plant together - for example rosemary likes quite dry, almost sandy soil but basil needs loss of moisture.

5. And one or other withe the feeds, not both together!

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

No don't feed herbs they thrive on a bit of neglect and as Airy says, you don't want them to flower.

I think a herb hanging basket is nice but in the past I have found that one herb tends to take over from the others. The best way I have found is to have several different pots, each with a different herb in - but there is something nice about a herby hanging basket isn't there?

7. Thanks all for the advice. Sadly I don't have room for more than two baskets so I am going to start with a tom/strawberry one and then a herb one with more hardy, self sufficient type herbs like mint, rosemary, thyme maybe parsley as they are easier to keep and I'm not very green fingered! I did see those water crystals so will get some of those too and will skip on plant food and instead just get tomato fertiliser for the tom basket. If I can keep these aive I will get dad to install some window boxes round the front and I can grow some other bits there! I am starting with plants rather than seeds. As I say I'm not green fingered to I need to first try 'keeping alive' rather than growing! I will let yoi know how I get on.finally, my own garden- sort of!

8. Noooo! Mint is a tyrant and will take over the hanging basket and drown everything else you plant.

9. Hi airy. I know mint has a habit of taking over a garden but surely in a hanging basket there's no where it can go? Are you saying it'll kill the other plants?

10. Hi all. Well I have two baskets on the go. One with parsley, mint and chives and one with strawberries. The lady in the nursery told me not to put the tomatoes and strawberries together because the strawberries need less water than the toms. I didn't even buy toms in the end as she said they won't be ready to plant for another month and I have nowhere to keep them til then. So I am going to try these two baskets and see how I go, if it all kicks off I will buy a planter to hang on the wall and put the toms in there.

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

That sounds lovely disguise. Imagine taking your scissors out to snip chives for your salads or mint for the new potatoes and just picking a strawberry - mmm - tell us how they do!

12. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Word of warning: strawberries don't fruit much in the first year, but do in following ones !

13. Thanks!

14. I am pleased to announce I harvested my first crop of strawberries today - ok so I only got 3 but there are plenty more growing. Weirdly, the mint has been most troublesome. I am planting tomatoes at the weekend. I may move the strawberries closer to the edge of the pot as they seem to be growing into the compost rather than hanging over.

15. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Hey congratulations. I grew strawbs once, not much success only got a couple of big ones and that was it - hence my avatar!![​IMG]

16. I had one big, one little and one double one but sadly the double one went a bit manky on one half :(