1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Garden Vacuum for grass cuttings or only leaves?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1359, May 1, 2011.

1. Probably a daft question, but I'm a gardening novice. Can you use a garden vacuum to vacuum up grass cuttings or only leaves?

2. Probably a daft question, but I'm a gardening novice. Can you use a garden vacuum to vacuum up grass cuttings or only leaves?

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

its intended for leaves rather than grass
    it is better to mow witha box on the machine if you can.if you dont have a grass box them either rake it up with a lawn rake or use a stiff broom to brush it( n o I am not mad)
    if once a year you use a scarifier on your lawn it wil pick up any missed bits of graas plus and mosss...you can hilre these for a day!

4. Thanks Oldsomeman. I've inherited an old lawnmower that works well but has not grass clipping collection box. As I was planning to get a leaf vacuum I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, but I'll have a look for a new lawn mower instead, as I hate the time (and effort) in raking and sweeping up all the grass. I never knew about a scarifier, so thanks, I'll investigate that too. Never knew a patch of green was going to be that much work [​IMG], but it is a really mess, so I'll have to pull my finger out and do some serious work.
    Any tips of how to improve a lawn full of weeks, but sparse grass? The dogs wee all over tha place so it's not even small patches that they kill. Its not fair that it kills the grass, but not the weeds. I know I'll never have a bowling green standard lawn as it's the price you pay for having dogs, but mine is an embarrassment.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

usually the ammonia in the dogs wee kills the grass...it used to when i had one anyway.Not a lot you can do really except maybe exclude an area to give it a chance to recover.and make sure you pick up any feceas as well as these make a mess on the lawn.
    You could rake up the damaged area so as to leave some loose soil and then use a patch repairer kit you can buy off the shelf.or even buy some turf from the shop and then lay this over the patch,cut around the shape with a spade,remove the turf,cut out the grass underneath(skimming will do it) and then put the new turf in,then bang it down withthe back of the spade. and water well.
    One of the best simplest book is called..'Be your own lawn expert' by ROY hussian?....when i lay lawns for folk i often give them a copy of this to help them look after their new lawn......you can buy it in a bookshop or garden centre or one of the big DIY stores like homebase.
    A good lawn does take time but more important is to water it well and give feed at the right time... usually in the autumn and the spring.........mow regular and dont mow to short if the dry spell continues..about 1/2" short max.or even a bit longer.