1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Garden smoke issue

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Jan 16, 2011.

1. OP - how about getting a fan with a long cord for when you're in your garden a lot? Or buy loads of those garden candles, you know, the really strong-scented ones?

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'd take low flying aircraft and a nearby traffic jam over wafting cigarette smoke every time. It's not about the pollution/health risk/whatever, it's about the vomitously yuk smell of second hand cigarette smoke.

3. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article395629.ece
    Oh dear!

I'd try planting something appropriate by the fence, tall, rambling, leafy and smelly.
    There are lots of different plants you could try that might go some way to masking the smell a little. I'd pick something with lots of leaves, to catch and dissipate the smoke as it rises.

4. robertanewiss

robertanewiss New commenter

Im incredibly amused by lots of these posts thank you! The half an adult is the daughter who has moved out but spends more time at her mums.
    I wasnt suggesting they stop smoking in their own home/garden I was looking for thoughts on anything I could plant / do to stop it being so miserable for us sometimes. I'm not trying to be the smoke police!
    Any thoughts on tall rambling plants? At the moment it isnt an issue because its winter and as someone kindly pointed out 'how much time do we spend outside at the moment', well other than a couple of hours on a weekend not much. But I know with more light on the way my little lass will want to. So I'd like to plant something now if I need to.
    Thanks guys. Especially the funny bits
    x