1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Garden compost question...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Dec 8, 2011.

1. I have maggots in my compost bin. Huge maggots. What are known in Australia as March flies... and what, in Scotland, we called 'clegs'..... basically they will turn into big flies that bite. Have googled and opinion seems to be divided between good (larvae poo is excellent apparently) ... and bad (cover them in dry earth or lime and kill them). Any advice or opinions anyone?

2. I have maggots in my compost bin. Huge maggots. What are known in Australia as March flies... and what, in Scotland, we called 'clegs'..... basically they will turn into big flies that bite. Have googled and opinion seems to be divided between good (larvae poo is excellent apparently) ... and bad (cover them in dry earth or lime and kill them). Any advice or opinions anyone?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

How do you know they are March Fly larvae? Are they striped?

4. Yes.... and HUGE!

5. Having maggots in the compost bin is usually a sign that meat has found its way in. Maggots don't feed on vegetative matter. Be scrupulous about ensuring that only vegetable matter is put in ( this includes paper and cardboard) and in the long term this should solve the problem.
    In the short term I would be inclined to kill them off - lime works as does boiling water.

6. Thanks, Cosmos. I'll try the boiling water...... OH has since sheepishly admitted that he put meat in............. he;s usually the gardening person, but I adopted the compost bin as 'mine'.... men, huh?

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

just remember the boiling water will kill tha flies lava but also any other microbes and creatures in the bin....lime might be better as at least at worst it will only add to the compst if you turn it over before using.

8. You're right oldie - if you do use boiling water Annie, just target the maggots, don't drench the whole bin. Some microbes will be killed but not enough to slow the composting process down too much.

9. I've put lime in and will wait a couple of hours before turning.... it was gross! I threw up... there were hundreds of them!

10. Poor Annie - that must have been vile. Mr Boxed In should have done it though.....he put the meat in!
    Do a google search and see if a product called Green Johanna is available in Australia. This is a brilliant thing. It is a compost bin designed to take all food waste including meat, fish, bones etc. It is a closed bin so rat proof as well.
    I have no idea how it works, it just does. I have one and it makes fantastic compost in a much shorter time - about 4 months in the warmer weather.