1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GarageBand

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nellypenell, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hi again
    Anyone know of a process of creating a score for a GarageBand composition?

2. Have you got sibelius or another score printing program me, including logic.?

3. I can't save GarageBand as midi so sib doesn't recognise it

4. The only other thing I can suggest is getting Logic as you can open GB files in this.

5. dropje

dropje New commenter

It's a bit of a pain though creating scores from GB in Logic. I'm not going there and am going to call AQA for an alternative cause I have spent tooooo many hours of my life in the past doing this.

6. I agree but will u let me know what aqa say?

7. is this for GCSE? Why are you trying to create scores from garage band? My pupils create an annotation where they provide a plan to show the structure of their piece and then list what is in each section with screen shots of the relevant music from the 'score' window. They comment on how the ideas change and develop etc as the piece progresses.

8. I agree with fretless and have discussed with examiners in the past who say that scores printed off cubase (similar result to logic) are next to useless and an notation says so much more and demonstrates the students understanding so much better. As far as I know there are no actual marks for the score - however it or a detailed an notation are a requirement so get the students to annotate.

Can you print screen the edit screen of GB? That could be the basis of the an notation.

9. dropje

dropje New commenter

There are no marks for the score. The examiner needs something to follow so I will provide lyrics/chords/annotated screen shot.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I have never understood the requirement that, where a score is not submitted, the written commentary must contain "sufficient performance directions to allow for a realisation of the piece".
    Is that realistically possible without using notation?

11. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

One of my students showed me how to produce a score from GB but I'm not at my Mac & I can't remember it all well enough to write it on here. If you can wait until we go back to school I can ask him again, or whilst I'm away this weekend, I'll see if I can work out what to do and post again in the middle of next week.... Sorry x

12. dropje

dropje New commenter

I think you can produce a single instrument score but not a full score, if you know what I mean.