1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gap year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hb13579, Oct 22, 2015.

1. hb13579

hb13579 New commenter

I know that there are probably quite a few posts from final year Primary Education students hoping to take a gap year before they complete their NQT years but please offer any advice you have.

I'm finding myself completely torn between whether to do my NQT year straight away or take a gap year and travel abroad. I've done three summers of the camp america program and am finding the thought of not going back and seeing the campers pretty tough. However if I do a season there then I would get back too late to start an NQT year, so would try and travel until after Christmas and then perhaps do supply and apply for September 2017?

Is this unrealistic? I love teaching and I wouldn't want to risk not being able to find a post when I return, but I can't imagine that when I start a teaching post that I would want to just do my NQT year and then go travelling because I'm imagining that I'll get pretty attached to the school.

Please help! :)

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Depends what part of the country you're in. In the south east, this might be a feasible plan. In the north, you might find yourself left on the shelf as the following year's cohort of trainees rushes past you.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think it sounds like a good plan in theory. Doing some travelling and then supply is a good idea, as it will keep you up to date about education, and the extra experience will be looked on favourably as you apply for your NQT year job.

However, it may or may not be a good plan in practice. What will you do if you return from travelling and can't find supply work? Do you have somewhere you can live and will you be ok for money?

If you don't get any supply work then your knowledge of education will be a year out of date, meaning that NQTs who have just finished their training may well be more appealing to employers than you. You may find it harder to get an NQT position than you would if you were applying for September 2016. Then again, you may find a job relatively easily. It can't be predicted. You might apply for September 2016 and have problems finding a post.

I would take the year out, as long as you have a financial and domestic safely net in case supply/a permanent post is harder to come by than you expect.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Both the above posts are excellent. I don't know you, but my reading is why risk your career which you have worked for, for so long on a few months away and camp America? Get the NQT year done. You can ways go away after, but come back at least being fully qualified and with some experience. If you said you needed time out for a sick relative, or you were saying you were unsure about the job, fair play. But why risk it to see a few campers?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Agree.

6. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Couldn't have put it better.
    There's also a risk that schools will make judgements about you e.g. Are they actually committed to teaching? Are they just doing it as a stopgap until something better comes along? In a year's time will they put their notice in again so they can go to camp?

I'm not saying any of these things are true of the OP but schools may have questions/reservations and if another candidate seems less of a risk, you know who the future job will go to.

DYNAMO67 likes this.