1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gap task marking

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by skills324, Mar 22, 2010.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Big thing at the min in my one form entry school and there is no escaping for me in reception. I legged it out of school today at half fourwhen a member of the SLT came to me for my literacy books.

Im gonna get in trouble for not writing closing the gap comments and not giving them gap tasks to complete but i reall feel it's not appropriate.
    I do give lots of verbal feedback indiv and as a whole class.

Opinions please...

2. Personally I think the close the gap marking for Reception is a useless task. How many children could actually read/comprehend any coments.Bit useless for most of year 1 as well.
    I often find I have to fit into the rest of the schools routine and try and find a way round it.
    eg. We had to have wilfs and walts for every lesson, writtten on the wall. I explained why I would not do this but agreed that I would say the wilfs and walts at the start of a session that it fitted in with.
    Maybe for close the gap marking you could record some of your conversations to show the 'bigwigs'.
    It is all a game that we play and especially hard in a one form entry school.

Good luck

3. skills324

skills324 New commenter

thanksfor your comment. I also had to do wilf or walt. It's a nice idea but really doesn't benefit the chidren in anyway.

We should just simply be let to get on with our jobs, lol.
    I was talking to my yr 1 collegue who also feels it's not suitable for her yer 1's. I explained a situation where I noticed one particular child not using finger spaces. I could have written a comment in her book and asked her to re write a sentence ensuring she used finger spaces. Howevr instead the next lesson we did some writing on wb's. The girl in question did a fantastic sentence but with no finger spaces. Ishowed her work to the rest of the class and said how good her sentence was and that she had used a capital letter and full stop correctly but then asked what she could do to improve her work. The class replied 'use finger spaces' and now she does (most of the time).

I feel ths way to be much more effective than a comment in her writing book.

4. We use picture symbols eg: Don't forget your finger spaces and then a pic of a finger. The same with full stops, capital letters etc so the ch know what the pic is straightaway and what it is there for. I think that the verbal feed back and guidance we give the ch is much more useful than writing it down for them, but gap marking is insisted on here too.
    Ps.... Your head and deputy sound lovely !!!

5. skills324

skills324 New commenter

lol
    think i will do that cath- thanks.

And yes my head and deputy are lovely (as you know) but unfortunatley do not have very much common sense between them.

6. Perhaps they need to close the gap between their ears!

7. skills324

skills324 New commenter

8. Hi,
    I'm bumping this topic because this is exactly the kind of thing I'm encountering in my Year 1 class. I have the summer born and EAL children, who are still working on EYFS goals, so every lesson is very practical, with cubes and apparatus, drama and actions, speaking and listening, games and activities, weighing and water play etc etc. I feel strongly that this is the way to develop the children's underlying concepts in literacy and maths. So I don't often do worksheets and we never work directly into the book: when we're writing we use whiteboards and during maths we occasionally use a simple scaffolded worksheet to help them record their ideas and practise their number formation. I take photos of the children during the lessons which demonstrate the activities they have taken part in, and I annotate these with the learning I have observed going on.

This means, however, that 'marking' is all verbal in my class. It takes place at the point of the child's learning, although I record it by writing it onto a sticker and putting it in a speech bubble, which is then stuck onto the relevant photograph and put into the relevant child's book.
    However, we have been told that we now need to use 'close the gap' marking, in which we set a question for a child which moves them on to the next level during that lesson. Now, they can't read these questions independently, which means I have to go round 25 children and read the questions to them, then prompt them to respond. I can see this easily becoming the entire lesson, and for Year 1 children who have limited English and cannot produce written responses, I will then have to scribe/ support written responses to my marking.
    I am really interested to know how anyone else deals with this kind of marking in Year 1, particularly with low ability or EAL children. Is it appropriate? Can you make it work? If so, how? I would absolutely love any advice or ideas that have worked for anyone else!

Many thanks!
    Irie