1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘Gap-fill’ Year

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Caramba, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Caramba

Caramba New commenter

Hi. I’m looking for suggestions for a 1-year language gap fill course for Yr9 starting September 2020. The school is moving from a 3-year to a 2-year GCSE Spanish Curriculum, with Yr9 starting their GCSE in 2021. I’d be interested in any ideas of language enhancement or a practical skills based course that you might have already tried in your school or that you would recommend. Grateful for any suggestions. Ta!

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Can you explain this again. Are they doing Spanish, just not for GCSE yet? Is that what you mean?

3. Caramba

Caramba New commenter

Hi. They are currently studying Spanish and the intention is to pause their studies for a year and then restart their GCSE course in Yr10. Therefore, I’m looking for suggestions from teachers with a similar experience for a programme of study that I can introduce in September for 2020/2021 academic year. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

4. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

Why not just continue teaching them Spanish? Surely you could cover a lot of key grammar and vocabulary as well as developing listening/speaking/reading/writing skills without moving onto GCSE work.

5. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

This 'gap year' would be ideal to give them a great foundation in regards to listening / speaking skills with a grammar focus as well. You could do tackle these by focusing on a cultural aspect of Spanish speaking countries every Term.
    What has your Head Of Department advised you? And what about your Line Manager?