1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gap between recorded and unredorded CA speaking marks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by conjugator, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Does anyone know what sort of gap between the recorded and unrecorded mark for the AQA speaking triggers some sort or quiery from the board? We have a candidate with 22 for unrecorded, but 12 for recorded due to several genuine circumstances which conspired against her. Did anyone have something similar last year? Cheers all. And oh yes, good luck!

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

In October 2010 chief examiner told an inset meeting that AQA accepts unchallenged the centre's marks for the unrecorded element. That puts paid to any query, I would have thought.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Do you not record both as a matter of course?

4. Well Noemie I wouldn't have posted the question if we did but I can see the wisdom in it of course. But I have come to my senses and decided to advise her to do another test instead so now I feel silly for posting at all.

5. That would be for the best, but please don't feel silly. We are here to help!

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Indeed. Sorry if it was unhelpful! It's a very big difference so I'd definitely do an extra task, as if they're able to get such a good score it would be a shame to keep the 12.
    I'm curious about the unfavourable circumstances though - anything you could ask for special consideration for? Although if you're doing another task anyway, it won't matter.

7. I don't want to open the AQA results can of worms again, but last year, our results were put into a formular which resulted in pupils losing marks in both recorded & unrecorded tasks - some pupils lost up to 10 marks because of this.
    I would suggest that another assessment is done - there is time, especially if you tweek one that has already been done. I finally finished all catch up assessments yesterday.
    Also, in my department we record all assessments.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I suggest you record both, so that you have a choice when the moderator asks for the sample. You can then send in the one where the marks are more secure.

9. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Having an unrecorded and unverifiable oral seems daft to me. You could make up the marks of course.

See: frenchteachernet.blogspot.com

10. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Having moderated many orals for the board last year I found very little difference in the 2 marks. AQA(and any other board) can ask for justification of differences which may seem extreme, but I suspect that as long as there are legitimate reasons for the discrepancy, all will be in order.

11. Not really, it was an internal school issue .... but in anycase we're doing a new test next week.
    Thanks all for your comments! Good luck in the exams and I hope AQA have got their act together better this year!