1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ganging up on NHS Hunt!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, May 12, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Labour, Libdems, Greens are not fielding candidates in Jeremy Hunt's constituency, South West Surrey to give Dr. Louise Irvine of the National Health Action Party a clear run at Hunt. Go Louise!!

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/08/jeremy-hunt-faces-serious-challenge-for-seat-by-gp-6623026/

"Steve Williams, executive member of the Labour Party and chair of South West Surrey Compass, the group which chaired the meeting at the weekend, said: ‘[The meeting] was a ground-breaking moment for the 2017 general election campaign in South West Surrey.

Jeremy Hunt is a deeply unpopular MP amongst many of his constituents who hold him responsible for the current sorry state of the National Health Service.

‘He is now facing a serious challenge from a highly capable and articulate GP who is well accustomed to taking on Jeremy Hunt and fighting for keeping our National Health Service as a high quality, well-funded public service, providing world-class healthcare for all, free to the user at the point of use.’"

2. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Downside is that, if she wins, there will be one less GP practising medicine. Couldn't they get someone else to stand against Hunt?

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That's news
    Labour have put up a candidate
    Labour have ejected Steve Williams from the Party

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

This reference is for the Independent.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...liance-labour-lib-dems-election-a7725821.html
    The Metro I quoted above does not look a very nice newspaper looking at the stories it carries. Looks worse than the Sun - not fit to wipe my Bum, - newspaper!

Sadly the Independent thinks Hunt will be ok. Adding up last elections votes of the other parties Hunt would still get a majority.

But if people piled in from other areas, and delivered and canvased, it still may be possible to evict Hunt.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Oh Dear. Sad, as the Donald would say. I was getting quite excited for a minute.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And it looks like Libdems may not get out of the way either. What a lost chance to get rid of Hunt who is dedicated to privatising the NHS. Turkeys voting for Christmas!

Somebody tell me there is some hope here!

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I only wish I could go and live there so I could help vote this evil useless **** out of office. Very best of luck to Dr Irvine. I will be watching developments with great interest.

Laphroig and bombaysapphire like this.
  9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

This prospect, however remote, has cheered me up.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Disappointing.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Given the long-standing Labour Party rules there was little option.
    Rule 4 b
    "A member of the party who joins and/ or supports a political organisation other than an official Labour group or other unit of the party, or supports any candidate who stands against an official Labour candidate, or publicly declares their intent to stand against a Labour candidate, shall automatically be ineligible to be or remain a party member"

Both of the party members involved were long-standing and experienced and really should have known the consequences